Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There One Vendor You Tend To Buy Coats From?

I like my jackets by Calvin Klein, Lands End, Talbots, and Pendleton.  From Q, I have a Dennis Basso coat, but I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another one.  I like the suede part but not thrilled with the quality of the faux fur after a couple of seasons.

Honored Contributor

From QVC....Linea, otherwise....Lands End.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Land End    Susan Graver  I have  tons of susans  Didnt buy this year because it was too short for me

Valued Contributor

For casual coats, I like LLBean, Lands End, Denim & Co., and Talbots.  Decades ago, I also liked coats and jackets by Fairbrooke but they folded eventually.

When it comes to dress coats or coats to wear to work (conservative fields in NYC), I am an absolute coat snob and will pay top dollar for a coat that will last me at least 15 years.  I've always worked for and represented CEOs, so I had to look the part to the best of my ability.

In 1993 I bought a three-quarter length charcoal gray merino wool swing coat by Max Mara.  I tearfully gave it up 18 years later after the sleeve hems became threadbare and could no longer be repaired or re-hemmed.

The replacement for the Max Mara was a pine green three-quarter length alpaca balmacaan by Cinzia Rocca.  (I'm 5'2", so three-quarter coats are perfect for me.)  I expect to get as much wear out of the Cinzia, if not more.  

I also take meticulous care of my clothing, thanks to my father who worked his entire adult life in the NYC fashion industry and taught me a ton about quality and construction, what to buy and what to leave behind.  For me, buying expensive dress coats means I only have to buy one every 15-20 years or so.  I'm still flabbergasted at how much I spent on those coats, but they were well worth it to me.

Respected Contributor

I buy coats from Lands' Ends when they have good discounts between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think a coat is a really nice gift.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally donated my Lands End down coat that I had for well over 10 years. It wore like iron and was warm. It was shorter, just past my backside. This past summer I found a down coat same length by DKNY for $35!! on Nordstrom Rack site. It's khaki so it goes with everything, and it's warm. It has a hood, I need a hood. I also got a down maxi coat from Costco online that's  great, have never had a long down coat and I think it was a bargain at $89. I like both coats because of the shaping.

I got my Mom a Lands End down coat last year, she says it's the warmest coat she's  ever had and I think it's so pretty. Don't know if they still sell it. The outer fabric has a heathered look to it and it has a plush soft lining in the hood and shoulder area. She wears a petite medium and it fits her perfectly. Petite coats are hard to find.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

While I don't currently own Dennis Basso coats, I have had a couple of them in the past. I do have coats by Regal faux furs and Designs by Guillaume which are also manufactured by Tiger J LLC, the same company that makes Dennis Basso's clothes sold on QVC. I bought those from The Shopping Channel in Canada.

I also own trench coat outerwear coats by London Fog and those were bought from Hudson's Bay in Canada.

Honored Contributor

I have a Centigrade from the q.  It's at least 7 years old and looks brand new.  My other coats are from Younkers = Calvin Klein and Espirit.  If Centigrade didn't go away, I probably would have a couple more coats from that line.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

I buy coats from Lands' Ends when they have good discounts between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think a coat is a really nice gift.

I luv Lands End coats, and pants. I buy rain coats from LLBean, because they are waterproof.

Esteemed Contributor

Not really.  I did love Terry Lewis' nice leather, suede when she was on HSN.  I bought so many.

Now, I buy from whomever has the style and size I need.  Last coat I bought was a Blue Duck Shearling.

*Call Tyrone*