Honored Contributor

Re: Is QVC's Clothing, Shoes, ect. Fast Fashion?

I was surprised to see QVC owns Zulily.  The Q's prices keep going up..  I don't understand Susan G.'s pricing high for polyester.  Denim & Co. prices are up.  Most buyers can do better around home with sales.  The Q counts on Easy Pay for sales but they need to offer discounts too.  The only women that will consistently shop for clothes at the Q live in remote areas and they may wise up.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  said:

First, a disclaimer, because I'm not trying to sound showy in any way. 

I've posted before that my wardrobe is minimal and First, a discl aimer, because I'm not trying to sound showy in any way. 

I've posted before that my wardrobe is minimal and neutral. That's not to mean that I don't have plenty to wear. I'm quite selective and if spending $ on a closet staple like black slacks, I'll purchase the best fabric, most flattering fit & expertly tailored black slacks I can afford, sometimes in the $300 range. If you figure price per wear (at least twice a week for the 15 years I've owned them), not expensive at all.

I do the same thing w/ all "closet staples" like blazers, blouses/shirts, and shoes, bags. I don't have 20 of each, but what I own is well made and made to last and also timeless style. No fads. 90% of what's in my closet has been there at least 10 years. It's more economical for me to dress that way than keep replacing items each year. 

Buy less, but buy good.

I totally agree with you.  When I was working I purchased designer clothes Ellen tracy, Anne Klein, etc.  I was a legal asst. and visitors thought I was a lawyer because none of the other women dressed like me and I am not bragging but it was a fact.  I would rather have one excellent piece of clothing than 4 pieces of junk.   Most of my friends did not see my reasoning.  Another trick I did was sometimes buy cheaper slacks that looked good with a fabulous blouse.  Always had beautiful shoes and designer purses.  Now I am retired and it's just not important anymore.  However, my purses are Kate Spade, one Louie Vuitton.  I have to own a beautiful handbag.  A girl cannot give up everything!  lol    Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I used to buy EF, Ralph Lauren, Jones of NY and Liz Claiborne when I was working. I am retired and no need for this type of wardrobe. I shop at the B&M stores and like to try on my clothing. I live in jeans and t-shirts or blouses. I buy what I need. I don't understand the term fast fashion.   My interpretation of fast fashion is trying to sell out of items before the next clothing shipment .I think you just need to buy what you feel comfortable wearing I don't buy from the Q because they do not carry petites and I refuse to have them tailored to fit me. I do like Carol Hochman pj's because they come in petites. i do see clothing lines on Evine that are made in the USA. I think this is refreshing to see a shopping channel that buys some of its line in USA. SG and Isaac could buy clothing made in USA but apparently they would not make the profit.

The only way to be certain that a designer is not producing fast fashion is if they state that they are fair trade in writing (website, label, packaging, etc.). Oeko-tex certifications are important as well.  The documentary "The True Cost" is a good resource for those who would like to learn more; it is available on Netflix.  

Esteemed Contributor

Just how transparent is the fashion supply chain is one of the things to look at -- for the manufacturer as well as the seller when you are looking at whether something was ethically made. That is not always going to be something found out easily.

Honored Contributor

Contributor

I am in my seventies. When I was younger people bought well made, durable clothing that lasted for years and it was made in the USA.  I would still like to buy clothing like that, but it is not readily available on QVC or elsewhere. and if it is , the price is prohibitive.Younger people today want disposable clothing they wear for a season then toss. The clothing on qvc as a rule is not exceptional, but because it has been reasonably priced I buy and usually enjoy most of it. Lately, the prices have risen and I think twice before purchasing, Is the China tariffs the reason ?  And yes, QVC does market cheap fast fashion, but it seems everybody does. Have you bought anything from Tabots lately ? The quality has declined and the prices have risen on some items.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fast fashion to me is the tons of cheap sportswear at Forever 21, Old Navy, Gap, H & M.  Tops and jeans under $40.00.  All of these are produced in bulk in the far east.  The average woman now has stacks of clothing in their walk in closets.  There are now stores that cater to only  fast fashion like Topshop, Zara, Madewell, American Eagle, Hollister. etc.  The name brands are endless.  Most of these are disposable fashions.

I splurge on American Made Jeans that average over $200.00 and some premium clothing I get from places like  Farfetched and Net A Porter,  But I'm guilty of buying cheap stuff at Zara, H & M and Madewell too. I draw the line at Old Navy, LOL. I remember walking out of Gap with a pair of jeans on sale for $9.00.  Wearing twice before I developed  hole in an unfashionable area between my legs

Honored Contributor

IMO they charge what the market will bear.  Now days if you put a label on anything (gluetin free, low fat, natural fiber, all cotton, etc) it will sell and thats the bottom line!  Dont let them fool you with the fast, slow, slower, faster bologna.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

This thread is 2 years old.  LOL