Super Contributor

Re: Is QVC's Clothing, Shoes, ect. Fast Fashion?

I am much more selective on where I buy. I buy much less and have a more minimal closet. Most of the items I have bought this year have been from JJill. I have read they try to produce ethically made clothing. The quality of their clothes are the best I have found at a moderate price point with sales and coupons on Retail Me Not. Their Tee Shirts are the best I have found. I find it much easier to dress and maintain laundry to have fewer quality pieces. I just don't need every color of skirts and pants. I stay with a few basic colors and accessories. I have also found LL Bean to have some nice dresses.

I try to buy classics and not jump on the fad wagon like cold shoulder and ripped jeans. All that kind of stuff is what will end up in land fills and Good Will. I would rather invest in a good cashmere sweater that lasts for years and my favorite bag of choice for travel and simplicity is Longchamp.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

A few years ago, Louis dell Olio produced clothing that was of high quality which was sold here at the Q.  The Q was going to get rid of Louis because his products cost a little more than the rest.  A few of us went to bat for Louis and Q retained him.  However, the clothing he now makes albeit better than the rest, is nowhere as high quality as it once was.  When I started buying from Louis, he had silks, wools, cashmeres, linens and leathers that were the real deal and of high quality.  He has, too, been reduced to the sweat shops of China, unfortunately.  But! He still makes nice, classic clothing even with all the impediments and forced agreements by Q.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This thread is 2 years old.  LOL

@Lipstickdiva    And just as applicable today as it was the day it was begun.

Esteemed Contributor

So I participated in this thread 2 years ago and in my opinion, nothing has changed as far as clothing and fast fashion goes -- only the prices have gotten higher and in some cases, a lot higher!

Sears Canada is gone, they closed last January and the employees and pensioners got ripped off by Sears Canada, IMO.

American fast fashion retailers like The Gap aren't doing well as people shun them for other fast fashion brands. People are fickle, even with fast fashion. Hudson's Bay sells fast fashion Topshop in their downtown flagship stores and other fast fashion brands in their regular stores that I don't want to even try on as they look and feel cheap. And with mall rents in Canada being expensive, even mainstream fast fashion retailers are leaving the malls for cheaper storefronts. Old Navy bailed out of the mall back in March and The Gap will probably be leaving by the end of the year. There's a mall a few miles away from me that is basically turning into a high rise condo development. I hadn't been in that mall in a couple of months and there's basically no stores between the anchor tenants and the food court is totally gone. When a mall advertises that there are food vendor trucks by the transit loop in the parking lot, you know that mall is a dead mall. That mall has been completely mismanaged too so I don't think you can just blame stores for leaving. Why the anchor tenants stay is beyond me. I only visited because my doctor's office is nearby.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

So I participated in this thread 2 years ago and in my opinion, nothing has changed as far as clothing and fast fashion goes -- only the prices have gotten higher and in some cases, a lot higher!

Sears Canada is gone, they closed last January and the employees and pensioners got ripped off by Sears Canada, IMO.

American fast fashion retailers like The Gap aren't doing well as people shun them for other fast fashion brands. People are fickle, even with fast fashion. Hudson's Bay sells fast fashion Topshop in their downtown flagship stores and other fast fashion brands in their regular stores that I don't want to even try on as they look and feel cheap. And with mall rents in Canada being expensive, even mainstream fast fashion retailers are leaving the malls for cheaper storefronts. Old Navy bailed out of the mall back in March and The Gap will probably be leaving by the end of the year. There's a mall a few miles away from me that is basically turning into a high rise condo development. I hadn't been in that mall in a couple of months and there's basically no stores between the anchor tenants and the food court is totally gone. When a mall advertises that there are food vendor trucks by the transit loop in the parking lot, you know that mall is a dead mall. That mall has been completely mismanaged too so I don't think you can just blame stores for leaving. Why the anchor tenants stay is beyond me. I only visited because my doctor's office is nearby.

@TY  Would it shock you if I told you that sooner or later most storefronts will be a distant memory and that all things will be bought in a few big box stores, even the high-end names, but most will be electronic order and all those abandoned malls will become high-end or low-end loft or condominum housing.  The government plans things well in advance of the events taking place, maybe 50 years ahead of time.  It's all planned out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a mall torn down to make room for a condo development. I suspect that's what will happen to the land that closed down Safeway Canada grocery stores sit on. The land is so valuable that the storefronts sitting empty don't matter to the owner. I think that the land where a strip mall including a closed down Safeway will eventually be torn down and turned into a high rise condo development. Ironically, before the land was turned into a strip mall, it was a trailer park.

Respected Contributor

Patagonia has been onto this topic for a long time. They sell used wear, known on the website as Worn Wear. Not a new thing.

Honored Contributor

I really don't think that the government has it all planned out as to where and how we will be shopping in 50 years (well, I won't, but my point stands).

That is one heck of a theory, though, @Nonametoday.:-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

Frankly, I don't care if QVC is Fast Fashion or not.  I cannot afford to buy a wardrobe of "good" pieces and frankly even though I work in an office, I don't have a high enough level job for it to be worth it, especially since I am within a few years (about 2.5) of retirement.  

QVC's clothes are contemporary and stylish without being too young for my 61-year-old butt.  They tend to be better quality than I can afford to buy in quantity.  Yeah, I could buy a $500 sweater, but that would be all I could buy for the season.  $500 at the Q will get clothes for a season (and some for several) and IMO they are better quality than clothes from some place like Target, which has similar prices.  Just IMO, don't shoot!

I am aware of some of the ethical issues, but frankly I live, and have lived for decades, in a rent stabilized tenement apartment in Harlem.   Not exactly high on the hog.  I'm doing my part (not by choice) to live on less.  

I like some Eileen Fisher although a lot of is it plain, even frumpy, but I can't afford to buy more than maybe one outfit of that brand.  Frankly there are other things I'd rather do with the money I don't save for retirement.  

Regular Contributor

@Shanus I apologize for sounding snarky, but I can't consider "price per wear" when I have to pay the credit card bill the next month.