Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is QVC's Clothing, Shoes, ect. Fast Fashion?

@dperry wrote:

Crystaltree, I like Denim and Co. I have tried Susan Graver three times and did not like them at all. I don't believe D & Co is fast fashion. The designs for this collection stand the test of time. I will continue to buy D & C when I see something that I like. 

Fast fashion always implies inexpensive and very fashionable clothing.  Neither is a description for Graver of D&co.  While these brands often have good basics, they are certainly not representative of true fast fashion i.e. H&M or Zara.

Esteemed Contributor

@dperry wrote:

Well, I went to the Eileen Fisher Store...

@Squirrel Lover

As a fan of EF clothing, all I can say is...I am totally jealous!!!  (But, happy for you Smiley Wink ).

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

I saw this thread a few days ago and passed over it, then I got to thinking about it.  My first thought of "fast fashion" was how quickly exclusive and expensive designs can be replicated cheaply and distributed to the masses.

But then I thought, maybe they're comparing fashion and food.  Lots of people with limited means live on fast food because they think it tastes good, is convenient, and is cheap.  But if you look more closely at fast food, it's not really all that cheap (compared to making low-cost healthy meals at home), and if it's a regular part of your diet, it's not healthy either.  The workers who prepare fast food are not paid well.  You buy the fast food now, but pay for it later with less in savings and poorer health.  I can see some parallels between the two.  

Honored Contributor

No. They buy in bulk which is always cheaper; no matter WHAT it may be.

Honored Contributor

@dperry wrote:

Crystaltree, I like Denim and Co. I have tried Susan Graver three times and did not like them at all. I don't believe D & Co is fast fashion. The designs for this collection stand the test of time. I will continue to buy D & C when I see something that I like. 

I agree with you.  As I said in my post, QVC is not a "fast fashion" retailer.  

Honored Contributor

The poster who went to the EF store and thoroughly examined the selection is to be commended.  She got some great new pieces for her wardrobe.  I simply don't have the patience and that's why I have a lot of clothes from QVC that hangs in my closet with the tags still on.

Respected Contributor

I was a buyer/product developer/merchant for over 20 years. I loved that career! (I changed careers so I would not have to travel when I became a single mom.) Not only did I have to be creative, but I also had deadlines, margins/markups and budgets to meet. I researched manufacturers, got bids and samples, and if all the criteria weren't met, the product was a no-go. I worked mostly in hardgoods (home decorative accessories, tabletop, jewelry, fragrance), but a little in softgoods (linens, textiles, apparel.) It's American business and profit to sustain/grow the business, and it's pretty much the same for any product. I had to have a marketable design, good quality with perceived value, and at a cost that would allow the greatest margin. The higher the quantity ordered, the lower the cost, etc. Many products were manufactured overseas then, and now (15 years later) a large majority are. Consumers impact the market with prioritizing what they value (price/style/designer name/environmental impact/workers' wages/natural fabrics/ingredients, etc.) and how they want to spend their money.

Honored Contributor

Fast fashion is successful.  Otherwise it would not be around to look at.   Top Shop, Well Made, And store outlets Shop Bop, H & M, Forever 21....and Nordstrom (they sell Top Shop)  TV shopping was a forerunner to this.  They could order in tremendous bulk. Something an invidual store could not do....even part of a chain.  Clothing lines have always been cheap to produce.  Sweat shops first appeared in the U.S. turn of the 20th century.  You don't need a degree, just know how to sew seams together.  Women want cheap clothes.  They want T shirts under $40.00.  Jeans under $50.00. Skirts & dresses under $80.00. Woman in the US for the most part have bulging closets.  Packed with clothes.

Honored Contributor

If EF is the antithesis of 'fast' fashion then I am destined to a lifetime of it.

I can't afford EF's 'ethical' alternative.

She should probably describe her fashions as 'ethical for the afflluent'

Honored Contributor

I think Fast Fashion is

HM, Forever 21 and Zara, (although Zara is a bit more $$)

they turn over merch, in a 6 - 10 week cycle, whereas the Q holds on to their stuff.

I would not classify Q in this category,