Trusted Contributor

Is Olive a neutral or in the warm toned family?

Gary Goben and many of the hosts say that the color family olive is neutral. I have a neutral cool soft summer toned complextion and I was wondering if olive works with any cooler skinned gals? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Olive a neutral or in the warm toned family?

I do consider olive a neutral but there are several shades that are called olive.  Some have a lot of yellow in them and others are brownish.  

Honored Contributor

I consider olive a neutral myself, but I don't know anything about the summer/winter coloring.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

It depends on the color of the olive.  Is it more yellow?  Brown?  Is it a cooler colored olive?   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a light "summer" in skin tone, and I look awful in olive. 

This leaves me out of the camo trend lol. Also olive utility jackets (navy or charcoal grey are better choices for me).

I love green - icy mint, light to medium cool green, and blue-greens are all good for my skin tone. 

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel LoverThere are many levels of olive.  Some olive is very close to blue.  Some has a lot of gray taking it close to taupe.

The yellow olives are part of the autumn palette.  The farther it is taken from yellow, the more it becomes a neutral.

Related image

Related image

Image result for carole jackson autumn palette

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Gary Goben and many of the hosts say that the color family olive is neutral. I have a neutral cool soft summer toned complextion and I was wondering if olive works with any cooler skinned gals? 

@Squirrel Lover  Hi. I have a fair, cool to neutral complexion. I’ve always loved and worn olive green. I look for shades that have little or no yellow in it. My eyes are olive green and I suppose they match my skin, so it’s OK to wear olive, too. 

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  In my opinion, olive is a neutral for the the bottom.  But it is trickier for the whole outfit or for the top, depending on the shades of olive.

Here are some examples of olive bottoms as neutrals, and an entire outift of olive color.

main-qimg-77c5ed8912a3071b02aad8b00d8f1f28.jpg

Olive-Green-Dresses.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @ECBG. It appears that only Autumn or yellow toned skin looks best in most olive tones. I think that I am too cool toned to pull off olive very well. Camo would look terrible on me. 

Thanks to all who responded.

Honored Contributor

Olive is a warm color.  It is called a neutral because it goes well with other colors..warm and cool...as do the colors cream, tan and brown...all neutrals.

Cool neutral colors would be gray and optic white.

If you do not look great in warm colors...a winter or summer ..Olive is not for you.