Honored Contributor

Re: Is Kohls having financial problems?

@Perkup wrote:

We have a relatively new Kohl's about five minutes from my house, and the most customers I have ever seen in the store is two.  It's a dark and uninteresting store.  Nothing there other than their home department has any appeal for me. I've been there only twice.  I suspect it will not make it much longer.  Same for a nearby J.C. Penney, though it does have better customer support.

Our Kohls , for the most part, have all been remodeled.  They do really well.  Perhaps it's a Midwest thing, lol.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Wow, I hope Kohl's won't be closing.  I do shop there but 90% of it is online shopping.  It kind of took the place of Mervyn's stores for me which all closed some years ago where I live. 

Respected Contributor

The Kohl's stores in my area are always busy too, not just at Christmastime. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are two Kohl's in my small city, both extremely successful, busy all year long. Of course we don't have any of the luxury stores like Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomies, etc., just Macy's and Younkers. I have seen a change on the inside of Kohl's the past few months. Love that they're carrying more name brands. Bought my sister some boots and myself a jacket before Christmas, both were Columbia. Gaiam yoga wear, FitBit, Nike and Adidas, Kohl's is trying hard to bring more people into their store. Am I going to Scheel's or Di*k's to buy activewear at full price, or to Kohl's where it is discounted before I even bring out my 30% off coupon? No brainier.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I have 2 Kohl's near me that I go to.  They're always busy.  The store is well-managed, IMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

There are two Kohl's in my small city, both extremely successful, busy all year long. Of course we don't have any of the luxury stores like Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomies, etc., just Macy's and Younkers. I have seen a change on the inside of Kohl's the past few months. Love that they're carrying more name brands. Bought my sister some boots and myself a jacket before Christmas, both were Columbia. Gaiam yoga wear, FitBit, Nike and Adidas, Kohl's is trying hard to bring more people into their store. Am I going to Scheel's or Di*k's to buy activewear at full price, or to Kohl's where it is discounted before I even bring out my 30% off coupon? No brainier.

I agree Maggie.  I've seen a few on these boards  say that Kohls is overpriced and that with the coupons they are "inline" with other retailers.  That simply has not been my experience.  Bras are often marked down BEFORE the coupon.  If one has a 30% off and the Warner or Bali Bra is already 30% off, it's about a 50% savings off of retail.  I also like that Gaiam too.  I'm not big on most of their clothing, but I do think Kohls can have some great buys.  I've bought robes that are similar to ones at Macy's for 1/2 the price and Macy's even had them on sale.

Honored Contributor

I never even use Kohls cash now.  They changed their policy a few years ago.  Now, they deduct the amount off of your credit if you've used Kohls cash.  They used to give it as an instore credit.  I throw away almost all of the Kohls cash as I don't want anything deducted if I choose to return an item.  Oftentimes I would buy something with Kohls cash just to use it...now I don't do that due to not getting the money back.

Honored Contributor

I wish I could say our nearest KOHL'S was orderly.  It usually looks like I just missed a stampede. Of course if customers returned merchandise to it's correct spot, particularly if they knock something on the floor, the store's appearance would be vastly improved. For the most part I shop online.  When I need to make a return, only customer service is busy. It seems the store operates on a skeleton crew.

As for KOHL'S Kash, a local women's shelter will gladly take it off my hands.

Frequent Contributor

Where did you hear that Jcpenney was closing stores?

Respected Contributor

Our Kohl's near me is always busy. I think we have 4 in town. They're all nice but I really only shop at one. It's so nice. Very big, clean, excellent staff, and they have new merchandise all the time. It's very orderly. 

I couldn't understand the gripe until I went to one in my mom's town. It was awful. Like another poster said, stuff all over the place, cramped, yuck. Now I know why she says she never shops there. A shame really. They are getting more and more brands and I enjoy shopping there. They have buggies, which I need, and it's a stand alone. Not like shopping at the mall where you have to carry everything around or run to the crowded parking lot to dump packages then go back in. That's exhausting.