Valued Contributor

Is Joan Rivers' jewelry nickel-free?

I'm interested in a couple of the Italian-inspired (LR's own) sets of earrings but can only wear nickel-free hypoallergenic metals. This even rules out steel as nickel is a component of the mix. Does anyone know if the ear wires and posts of her jewelry are nickel-free? Thanks.
Honored Contributor

Re: Is Joan Rivers' jewelry nickel-free?

Based on my experience, Joan's jewelry is base metal.  I don't have overly sensitive ear piercings or skin and her jewerly turned on me.  I didn't get an infection or anything - the metal went bad if that makes any sense.  Like the goldtone finishing went dark/tarnished.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I don't know if Joan has any jewerlry that is nickel-free, but I think I have heard David say that once, that something was nickel-free.  That may not be her whole line and in the past not many lines of fashion jewelry were nickel free so that may be a question you could pose to David on his forum and have it addressed there.  I don't think in the "olden days" many people had nickel-free jewelry.  My white gold is not nickel-free.  That is what makes it white gold.  It does turn my hand on occasion (and it is 14k).  

P.S.  What, when you are referring to Joan's jewelry do you mean when you say does "it went bad" mean?

I have some piece of Joan's jewelry from 20 years ago and it looks like it did the day I received it.  Would there be some visible difference in the piece if it "went bad?"  Inquiring minds....

Honored Contributor

The goldtone earrings turned color on me, like a funky brown.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Thanks.  I understand.  Sorry they turned on you.

Valued Contributor

Hmmm, this sounds discouraging. Maybe I'll have my jeweler clone the earrings from my broken gold jewelry instead.