Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Still Buying Maxi Dresses ?

@kate2357 wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

I don't know if they are 'in' or not.  I tried a couple of years in a row to buy and wear a maxi dress.  I never wore them and ended up donating them.  I seem to do better with long skirts and have no idea why long skirts work for me when a long dress doesn't.

Strangest thing..............

@Bird mama

Pretty sure we have different body types ... you being one of the lucky tall gals. But I have the same problem ... I don't like how I look in long dresses ... but I do fine w/ long skirts.

For me, I like fitted on the top, and flowy on the bottom. And I need a structured top w/ the ability of wearing a bra. I also think I look better w/ a defined waistline and the dresses I tried on for the most part just didn't hit me right in waist, etc. Like when that whole empire waist tops were so abundant ... I couldn't find nary a one that actually fit correct.

The one maxi dress that did work for me was the Rene dress A264337 that has a black tank top. I wear that one w/ a light jean jacket style or sometimes I thow a longer tank over the top so it looks like a skirt and top.

Women with Control Regular Printed Sleeveless Maxi DressSmiley Happy

That is a cute dress. I am going to check this one out.  Thanks.

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Since it has been a cold  and dreary winter we aren't seeing them so much here but i suspect once the spring breakers start coming on vacation next month we will see a lot of them. In the stores here in Fl. we are seeing more midi length than maxi length, but i suspect ladies will be getting the ones they already own out with their summer duds.I do see them in the windows at the beach apparel stores.

Honored Contributor

I own 1 true maxi that I bought from Evine last year.  I had a few summer casual events I needed to attend and that's what I chose.  I wear the dress with a heel only because 1)it would be too long on me with a flat but 2) I am short and need the height.  I love the print of the dress but overall, for someone of my height, I don't think a lot of maxis are all that flattering.

I have a few more summer events this year such as grad parties and baby/wedding showers so I may buy another I saw yesterday on Evine. 

I also own the much maligned Liz Claiborne knit "maxi" that was a TSV the year before last.  It came with the little shrug.  I bought it from as-is and I've gotten a ton of use from that.  It's not a true maxi though, it's a midi.  That I have worn with flip-flops, flats, heels and even boots in the fall.