Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Still Buying Maxi Dresses ?

I don't like maxi dresses, I didn't even like them in the 70's, but they do look cute.

Regular Contributor

They are front and center in department stores right now.  I would say they are here to stay.  I personally LOVE the maxi dress.  It looks dressy and feels like jammies.  I am 47 and am not interested in showing a lot of leg. 

Respected Contributor

I've been seeing lots of them in the catelogues and magazines. Many are in floral very romantic prints, or with ruffles and have eyelet or lace details. Some are too Victorian for me, but if I see one I really like and it doesn't look like what I already have, I'll pick up a new one, but not many.

Respected Contributor

I never bought one. I like dresses and skirts just below my knees.

Honored Contributor

I never really liked them so I don't own any. I prefer knee length dresses myself. There seem to be more midis than maxis out there right now. I say wear what you like and don't worry about trends. 

Valued Contributor

hate them they look like 1800 dress

Honored Contributor

I don't know if they are 'in' or not.  I tried a couple of years in a row to buy and wear a maxi dress.  I never wore them and ended up donating them.  I seem to do better with long skirts and have no idea why long skirts work for me when a long dress doesn't.

Strangest thing..............

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

There are about 300million people in the US alone.  Even if only 50M of those are adult women so I bet that there are still people who buy them.  I see them all the time in the summer but I live near a lake. 

Trusted Contributor

Tons of options online at higher end department stores so I believe they are still in.  I have 3 and may get one more for my vacation to Anguilla next month.  I think they are super elegant.

Trusted Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

I have never seen anyone who looks good in a maxi. I know, I know you get lots of compliments but what is said when you walk away?

IMO, women who are TALL and THIN look good in maxi's.