Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Having Trouble With Their Internet Constantly Going Down?

My "high speed" is pretty slow the first thing in the morning.....and after school hours. Just high traffic, I suppose.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Mindy - I've had AT&T DSL for years. I know they are throttling my internet. On Saturday afternoon, I took AT&T's speed test - it was lousy and they recommended I upgrade to U-verse. Yeah, right, not happening until they throw me out of DSL. I read many reviews of AT&T U-verse and most customers can't stand it and wish they would have never let go of DSL. I don't experience downtime, but I've had to reboot my modem (old and new) every day for years. On the bright side, I'm not connected to their network full time when the modem is down. It's such a force of habit, I turn on the tower (have a desktop), turn on the monitor and automatically grab a pen and reboot the modem.

I'm in SE Michigan and the ISP pickins' are slim. Comcast has miserable customer service and Wow can't compete price and mbps wise.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Mindy D, you need to have the in line service added to your phone/internet service with AT&T. That covers their services inside your house as well. If you are having regular problems, it's well worth the money, if only because they stop arguing with you about inside work. I think it's $7-8/mo on my phone bill. If you are calling regularly with the same problem, keep a record of the service order number or incident number, whichever they call it there. When you call back with the same problem, tell them you are calling about that service order number and you will be bumped up automatically.

I have had regular problems with internet outages - we are on the last line on the grid so we get slower service to begin with and with no chance of additional houses being built on the line, there's not much chance of us getting any type of upgrade any time soon. It got so bad the local repair tech gave us his personal cell number. However, we have very few choices out here - satellite internet, totally awful - radio transmission internet, which was OK in the winter but lousy in the summer because the leaves on our trees got in the way and AT&T which is at least hard wired to the house so weather, wind, trees, etc don't affect it.

Respected Contributor

I had this problem, complained to TWC, they came and replaced the modem, and all is well now.

Honored Contributor

Don't bother with them when they solicit door-to-door, selling 'fiber optics', etc. p.s.: Folks around here tell me that they just go ahead and buy new modems every few years, which seem to solve their problem(s).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

We've had AT&T Uverse TV and internet for the past 4 or 5 years and I have no complaints. We did have an issue about a year or so ago with our internet going out. It took a couple of calls, but the technician finally figured it out. They replaced 2 of our gateways, but it turns out it had something to do with the AT&T box for our neighborhood. Comcast was awful--we always had outages with them and they could care less.

Esteemed Contributor

Not perfect but Comcast seems to be okay. No other choice however. Not in our area. Lucky to have them. Good customer service. Pleased with that.

Honored Contributor

I have the same problem. Congress did not give AT&T as a part of their punishment from the 1980s the same amount of spectrum that other providers have. They will continue to fight for it, probably to no avail.