Honored Contributor

Re: Iris Apfel is the Oldest Person...

Love them and Iris too. Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Kudos to Mattel for doing this.  

(I have often thought Iris must be very strong to be able to wear such significant amount of jewelry, and I'm impressed over and over when I see her.  I am someone who always wimps out whenever a necklace is the least bit heavy.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Did everybody get a chance to read this comment by Iris in the accompanying article from Harper's Bazaar?:

"Why would you want to look like everyone else when there’s such a big choice of things today? It’s hard to give blanket advice, but I just think that if everybody tries to be as self-respecting and interesting as they can, it would be a better world. Use your head and think about other people and look in a mirror once in a while!"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I admire Iris Apfel for her individualism, love of the arts, and her zest for living. I would buy the Barbie doll.  I ordered the Barbie doll in honor of Katherine Jackson, one of NASA's computers and a central person in the Hidden Figures book and film.  Jackson's doll captures what she looked like in the 1960s.  Check out the website as there are other women of historical importance.

Valued Contributor

I love Iris!  She is every bit of the fashion icon as CoCo Chanel.  Kudos to Mattlel for recognizing her style, her life and her genius!

Honored Contributor

Love the Iris Barbie, the clothing and jewelry. 

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2wrote:

I love Iris!  She is every bit of the fashion icon as CoCo Chanel.  Kudos to Mattlel for recognizing her style, her life and her genius!

@Its Me LuLuBelle2Iris is an amazing fashion icon, but you do realize CoCo Chanel got women into pants and revolutionised the entire clothing industry for women?  In addition, her iconic short jacket is still being sold today.

Respected Contributor

I had no idea that Mattel made these specialized Barbies.  Love this, and love that they are honoring real and accomplished women!  Thanks for posting this.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad that "Barbie" and "bimbo" are not synonymous any more!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~