Honored Contributor

Re: Intersting observation about outerwear in Holiday movies

@Sooner wrote:

@DLew wrote:

The coats are hardly ever buttoned. No one wears gloves, mittens, or hats. Scarves are fashionably draped, never wrapped.  ❄️🌬

That's me!  Wool coat, NEVER buttoned, hardly ever put on gloves (don't own mittens) and no hat.  Also, no sox!  LOL!!!

@Sooner   Same except under 30 degrees may add socks w/ my ankle boots.

Honored Contributor

Any resemblance between movies and real life is purely coincidental!  Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

I wear wool coats, but I am not a fan of hats.  I wear a scarf to protect the coat from skin oil and usually gloves. A good wool coat is so much warmer than a polyester puffer coat and it breathes.

It is becoming difficult to find a 100% wool coat.  Most are wool/ polyester blends.

Wool coats are super expensive and so worth it.  They last for years.  They look better than polyester too.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@DLew wrote:

The coats are hardly ever buttoned. No one wears gloves, mittens, or hats. Scarves are fashionably draped, never wrapped.  ❄️🌬

That's me!  Wool coat, NEVER buttoned, hardly ever put on gloves (don't own mittens) and no hat.  Also, no sox!  LOL!!!

@Shanus Wimp!  Woman Very Happy Woman Wink Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@DLew wrote:

@Shanus Wimp!  Woman Very Happy Woman Wink Woman Very Happy

@Sooner   Yep, but warm little toes!!

Honored Contributor

Most of Hallmark movies are made in Vancouver, Canada......which generally doesn't have "brutal" winters

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think they’re dressed that way b/c it’s not glamorous to be bundled up like an Eskimo dressed for the Tundra. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

It may surprise some people to find out several Hallmark Christmas movies have been filmed in Connecticut - in September.  Of course, it is warm then.

A year ago, “Christmas on Honeysuckle Lane” was filmed in Wethersfield, CT, in September.  Crews came in to create quite a  bit of artificial snow, fake snowmen, etc.  Not only around the central house involved in the movie shots, but also in an area in the more historic part of the town.  I guess locations are selected for quaint old towns as a backdrop.

The “home” selected was an old building from the Victoria era, which had gone through a years-long renovation.  In real life, it is a B&B, the Silas W. Robbins House.  In the outside shots, they managed to create the look of winter in background trees and such.

So you can see why people are not dressed like they would normally be in a New England winter.  Yesterday it was 20 degrees, but I was warm in a newer style of coat - something very thin, but insulated, which keeps you remarkably warm with very little bulk.  I haven’t worn my long wool coat in several years.

Esteemed Contributor

I always wanted a long cashmere coat......never bought one

Honored Contributor

To me the snow in some of the movies looks totally fake. It appears too clean and strategically placed so it looks nice like a winter wonderland should be. You never see the actors' breath out in the cold either...so fake and you know they filmed it indoors.