Trusted Contributor

Re: Interesting article on Minimalist Fashion

@ALRATIBA : You remind me of someone I worked with at the university years ago.

She worked in a white blouse, navy a-line skirt and flats every single day. Her clothes were always fresh and impeccable. Her husband was a student.

She invited me over one day and discovered she had the most beautiful clothes. She said if she wore any of them to work they would no longer be special.

I understood perfectly but never could do that myself. 

Honored Contributor

I would die of BOREDOM!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I worked with a woman (in an office setting) for almost 20 years who wore the same 4 outfits, year round.  In all that time she only bought one new suit.  But they always were impeccable, looked brand new (perhaps a little out-of-style), and she was always immaculately groomed.  I don't know how she did it.

I bought nice clothes but the dry cleaners would shrink them, or I'd slop on them and they'd get stained, my weight fluctuated, the cuffs would fray, etc. etc.  There was no way my clothes would last more than 2-3 years.

Honored Contributor

'Funny', just a few days ago, I decided to hang, on a rolling clothing rack, several items in my closet that I hadn't worn in years, some never worn at all.

I now have 'new' outfits to wear, instead of the 'same old, same old'.  

Sometimes, if we actually remove clothing items from our closets, we can 'see' potential outfits more clearly. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Squirrel Lover:

A big Thank You for this article.

I'm going to print it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Squirrel Lover for posting. A very interesting approach to fashion.

In my lifetime, I have always thought the best dressed women edit their wardrobes. Just because someone may have a lot of clothing, it certainly doesn't necessarily make them better dressed or have a clue what the term "fashion sense" means. Sometimes less really is more ....

Super Contributor

Another tip:  When I'm stuck on the "Maybe" pile, I ask myself "Would I buy this again?".  The answer is usually a very immediate 'yes' or 'no'.

Thanks so much for posting this article!

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Esteemed Contributor

Clothes thinning is an awesome activity. Living in a 4 season environment, I have more clothes to manage, but thinning out annually keeps my closet neat and orderly. Husband's clothes schtuff is spread over 3 bedroom closets - shared master - upstairs guest room - downstairs guest room. Oh, and sports gear in attic.

I believe the statement that we keep gravitating towards 20% of our fave clothes in closet and shoes and handbags. Admit to having ample accessories - great addition to a simple wardrobe.

Traveled for a month in January and had access to washer/dryer. I packed less than sis-in-law who visited us for 5 days. She's a notorious over packer. I remember being in Maui airport and transporting stuff from her overweight suitcase to mine. It's her thing but thrilled it's not my thing now. Freedom from stuff feels good.          

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY your post reminds me of the statement -- shop your own closet. Have fun!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Jean Lake:   I still have your quote 'Be Silent, Be Safe' taped on a mirror.  From years ago.

It has been handy, in certain/special circumstances.