Honored Contributor

Inspiration from Sundance Cat.

Background:  Two years ago, I bought a package of 12 Berets from Amazon ... all different colors ... 100% felted wool.   I stuck them in the closet and forgot all about them.   (I paid $43 for a dozen hats - less than $4 each!)

I came across them recently when taking out some woolen scarves

Last night, I'm going through the recent Sundance catalog and on page 46, they are showing handwarmers and hats that have been embellished.  (Posie Hat, Posie Handwarmers)

I have lots of knit and crochet handwarmers ... so I'll be embellishing them!  My knit hats aren't a style that can easly be embellished ... but I remembered the berets (and some hats I got from LandsEnd.)

As I said above, the berets are felted wool, and that's rather stiff.  I was blocking some wool sweaters and thought I'd soak two of the berets to see if that softened it.  (I block wool in cool water and Tresemme shampoo).  Hats were dried this morning and softened perfectly!  Their shape changed from a pancake to a mushroom ... also perfect for embellishment.

So - the next few days, I'm going to be embellishing mitts and hats with some of my novelty yarns (mostly furs and metallics).

Amazon is still selling the hats - but the price is up to $50.  Still a great price for 12 hats. 

If any of you can embroider, or do freeform knit and crochet ... these would make great gifts!  Amazon also sells mini-skein collections of yarn if you want to give it a try!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Inspiration from Sundance Cat.

@ALRATIBA Thank you for posting.  I love this hat, love it.  Something like this would be grand when I'm in my Nanook of the North look commuting during the winter months.  I'm not crafty so will need to purchase already made.  Smiles.

Honored Contributor

That sounds really nice, @ALRATIBA!  Good thing you came across your stash!

Esteemed Contributor

WOW,glad you started this,I was wondering how I would post this without getting slamed......lol

I just bought leggings,the EXACT same as the  CuddlDuds leggings, sold here on sale for $20 (I do not know how much reg price was.lol..) on Amazon , for $10

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA Thar Sundance hat is so cute. I would like to see a photo of your version when you finish one.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"