Honored Contributor

“Inside the Nordstrom Dynasty” Article in NY Times

I’m a fan of Nordstrom, and saw this article this morning. It’s interesting and informative, and worth the time to read it. It was too long to copy and paste, so here’s the link... or you could google the title above.

https://nyti.ms/2W6c6Ku

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: “Inside the Nordstrom Dynasty” Article in NY Times

I enjoyed reading it.  Four generations, that is wonderful!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have fond memories of visiting Nordstrom as a teen and college student but for the most part Nordstrom is not on my radar. It took them more than a generation to come to Canada and so they were not a place I would visit unless I was visiting relatives in the U.S. I am not visiting the store in downtown Vancouver and paying a fortune in parking for the privilege of shopping there.

I don't miss them and the last time I visited Nordstrom was in Las Vegas. A real good look at the Charlotte Tilbury makeup line convinced me that I do not like any of the colors as all are warm based colors that don't suit me. There were no sales going on and the store was pretty empty even though it was the lunch hour in the Fashion Show mall. 

I spent my money elsewhere in the mall and in non mall stores while I was in Vegas.

Honored Contributor

I noticed a full page color ad in The New Yorker for a new flagship store in Manhattan.  This magazine is pitched to upscale customers, of which I am not one, my neighbor passes these mags on to me.  Nordstroms Rack is plenty upscale for me.

Honored Contributor

I couldn't read it. It wouldn't let me, without a subscription. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I couldn't read it. It wouldn't let me, without a subscription. 

@gidgetgh : If you google the article title, you might be able to read it without needing a subscription.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I noticed a full page color ad in The New Yorker for a new flagship store in Manhattan.  This magazine is pitched to upscale customers, of which I am not one, my neighbor passes these mags on to me.  Nordstroms Rack is plenty upscale for me.

a friend of ours applied and was accepted as a "transfer" to work at the new flagship store. she is so excited!

it is not an easy company to work for if you want to earn a good living.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sunshine45, is any retail job a good way to earn a living?

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Sunshine45, is any retail job a good way to earn a living?

@ahoymate 

oh, if you know how to sell and are on commission, there is GREAT money to be made at nordstrom. the key is longevity and perseverance and good salesmanship. you have to provide excellent customer service. yes, if you create a good customer base, you can make 6 figures.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Love Love Love NOrdstrom and do most of my shopping there..  Love the quality of their merchandise and the fabulous selection.  I have a Nordstrom (main store not outlet) 1/2 hour from me and they just opened a brand new fabulous store in NYC.  Some of my other favorite stores are:  Talbots, JCrew and Bloomingdales.   We have lots to select from here in New York.