Respected Contributor

Re: In Which Decade Did You Least Like The Fashion?

Not thinking of a "decade" as such. I never cared for the hippie/beatnik looks of the late 60's and early 70's.

Honored Contributor

I least like what is in fashion now. A sea of leggings on people who have no business wearing leggings contributes to my opinion. I also dislike athleisurewear. I guess it is the replacement for "jogging" suits and is equally as unappealing on most women.

I know real fashion will probably never really come back in my lifetime. I was born in the 50's and remember how beautiful women dressed then. Back in the 60's mini skirts and Carnaby Street fashions all evoke pleasant memories... and the 80's glamour. I loved every second of it. Beautifully tailored suits and big hair ... Fashion started to decline in the 90's with the Grunge Look and it never really recovered.

Esteemed Contributor

Early 90s. Hate goth and the "Seattle" @ look. There seemed to be a real lack of style identity during this period, especially for professional people.

Honored Contributor

The last decade and the current decade.  The styles now are sloppy, unstructured.  Too many high/lo tops, leggings, cut outs, etc., etc.  I keep hoping the styles will change soon.  

Honored Contributor

The years 2000-2010 were probably the years I have forgotten about the most. Nothing in this decade stands out at all...not a thing, iconic or not. It was as if there was a chunk of fashion taken out of time back then. It was when the stock market crashed and everything went way downhill.

Honored Contributor

I never gave that much thought, ask me when I'm 90...lol    Seriously, I enjoy fashion and I have always liked dressing well.  And since I tend to live in the present, I wear the clothes that appeal to me regardless of what decade I'm in.  I can always find great things that work with my personal sense of style.  That's the fun of fashion.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Sorry, @ECBG - I loved the styles of the 50's.  I was elementary school age then and admired how my mom and her friends dressed in their big skirts, flippy cocktail dresses, and flowy slacks - all cinched at the waist.

I didn't like the gigantic shoulder pads of the 80's.   I wore them because they were the style,  but always felt like a football player and top heavy.   If they came back in fashion today, I wouldn't wear them.  The clothes of the 80's closely resembled the 40's (in my mind, anyway) - the platform shoes, menswear-type large lapels.  Didn't like any of it. 

@tototwoI too, was a child of the '50's.  My mom wore a lot of buttoned cartigans with matching narrow leg wool slacks, everyone did.  

I liked a lot of the styling in the '80's at the time.  I wouldn't wear it again, but didn't we have fun!   LOL!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The current decade.  Not a fan of the leisure look, yoga pants, oversized tops, etc.    

Honored Contributor

I can't think of any era that I didn't like.   In the 40s and 50s .... I was a kid in school wearing uniforms, and my mother made all our "civilian clothes" until I was old enough to make my own.     

I've always worked in a corporate environment ... so my work clothes were always very conservative suits.  

For dressy and casual clohtes:

In the 60s ... I liked the chemise and shift dresses and Carnaby Street look...  By 1963, I started tto develop my personal casual style.  

In the 70s .... pantsuits, "buffalo bells" ....

In 80s and 90s ... all I can recall is ordinary clothes.  Nothing special stands out.

Last 16 years ...  Nothing changed ... except I retired and no longer need to wear suits!   

Respected Contributor

I agree, I don't like the current decade.  Don't like leggings, don't like athleisure or everything skin tight.  I loved the 60's, some of the 70's (not the hippie styles), and the glamour of the 80's along with the Ralph Lauren look and Out of Aftrica, the best.  

Looking back at my younger self in those gorgeous suits, the flowing wool gabardine riding skirts with high leather boots, silk blouses (tucked in!), fitted at the waist sweaters with width at the sleeve cap (ruching, etc.), longer pencil skirts, all were fashions I still like.   I can see why, I looked really nice in the styles then and I think I had a confidence knowing I was looking my best that I lost when the "new" looks came in and are here to stay.