Honored Contributor

If your waist area seems to have or be disappearing what tops do you like to wear?

This was going on in my head yesterday. I just do the "over" tops. But I wonder if you find the right design on your top if that might not be a better idea. Yes comfort now is all that is required, but sometimes I don't care for the look the body has taken. I am mostly at home so you know what kind of tops that usually means. I'm willing to settle just want to know for some days, if there's another selection or type or brand?

Is there such a thing, or what do you wear?

Respected Contributor

Re: If your waist area seems to have or be disappearing what tops do you like to wear?

My waist has dissapeared and the stomach pooches out.   I find that button down shirts that are not tight look best.  They don't cling and hide a lot.  I wear knit stuff around the house but it just clings and shows everything.  I do have some knit type tops that are not fitted and wear a skinny tee under it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: If your waist area seems to have or be disappearing what tops do you like to wear?

@qualitygal

I would wear things that trick the eye, with details like colorblocking, a peplum, or a wrap.

I usually do a fitted jacket with a tank underneath, to ****** in the waist.

These are from Dillard's.

Ellen Tracy 3/4 Sleeve Twist Faux-Wrap Knit Jersey Top

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  My shape is thin w/ a more straight up & down look. I really never had a "waist". I wear my jeans or slacks lower cut on my hips to elongate my upper body and sometimes wear a tee (outside) and a cardigan left open over it. Since I'm only 5'1", it tend to make me look taller if I wear one color head to toe or or stay close to that w/ black pants, black tee or tank and dark grey sweater. If I break it up w/ a light color on top I look shorter and squatty. I don't try to create a waist. It always looked like that was what I trying to do and drew attention to it. It's better fo me to just to ignore it and play up my good parts. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono, yes! those are good ideas. I'll be on the lookout. The one that flares at the hips wouldn't help me (high waisted), but the longer ones would. Thanks so much. Really like that pink one. I'll keep Dillards in mind too.

Valued Contributor

Since turning 63 I have also lost my waist and shape.  The only positive to this is that somehow my legs now look thinner!

I avoid T-shirts totally as they accentuate the excess in mid-section.

I love loose flowy tops and have gotten over thinking they look like maternity clothing we used to wear.  Channeling "Pioneer Woman".

I agree about button up shirts, they do like nice also, just not tucked in.

Especially look nice with a pretty apron if I'm in the kitchen or doing housechores.

Respected Contributor

I never really had a defined waist. But, now I definitely have a defined stomach! I am like where on earth did that come from and please just go away!!😀 

Cardigans of all different weights, lengths and sleeve lengths are my friends now - over little tanks or little tees. As are longer tops that do not cling to that fabulous thing called my stomach! 

I do like One World tops from Evine - they seem to kind of emphasize some body parts and camouflage others. Listen to OW rep, Sam - I do think he knows what he is talking about most of the time.

Hope this helped a little...

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I used to have a tiny waist that expanded along with belly fat. About six months ago, I got Marie Osmond's workout bar and have been using it every other day. Along with it, I began doing sidebends, like my mom did, thinking maybe it isn't impossible to get a waist again. I'm amazed at having lost at least two inches from my waist and a lot of belly fat.

It's not a 24" waist, but it's getting closer.

Everything is fitting me now and I don't have to disguise. I also lost five pounds, so I'm hoping over the holidays all my hard work does not disappear.

My brother always sends me Godiva chocolates for Christmas, which I'm both anticipating and trying to decide to not eat them. I could give them to another, but that will make them give me the double look, like yeah, I'll be happy to indulge when you won't.

Respected Contributor

My days of cinching my waist with a corselette or tight belt are over., but I'm not resigned to wearing "tents" either. I keep as slim as I can for age 82 by working out, eating right, and keeping busy around the house.

Honored Contributor

Waist disappearing?  Don't I wish.  Its getting BIGGER.  I'm going from a pear to an apple.  Loose flowing tops only, and not the clingy ones.  I'll start thinking about this problem after the holidays.