Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you have one, what do you think of your Anthropologie store?

@winamac1 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Very, very expensive and IMO the clothes are cut for juniors.

They don't have coupons, but having worked for a major anchor store, I can tell you their cost is generally lower than Ralph Lauren and Karen Kane, more in keeping with Michael Kors.

I'm a S here and a medium everywhere else, including Anthro.

If you are an Anthro member, you will get a 20% off coupon during your birthday month. They also have an extra 25 % and up to 40% off marked prices several times a year.

I love some of Anthro's clothes and others I don't care for---similar to other lines.  Their sizing is super inconsistent.  I can wear a size 2 or a size 6 there or an XXS to a Small.  I always have to try on. 

I hate their shipping costs so I try to buy from the store or order online the few times a year they have free shipping.

I don't buy much at all during the months of March through July.  I won't pay $150 for a cotton blouse.   I love the items I own from there and I probably get more compliments on my Anthro Statement pieces (mostly jackets/toppers/coats) than any other items I purchase.  

Their quality is hit or miss. 

@winamac1

Good morning, Win!  Just want to make sure you know that the only time you have to pay for shipping and handling is when you place an order online.  If you PHONE your order, they gladly waive all S&H.  I know, it doesn't make sense, but I always ask and they do!

Brrrrr!  It is below zero here.  Stay warm!

Esteemed Contributor

Back to the original question, my Athropologie sits on the corner of a very busy intersection of the city and is one big room with small vignettes set up throughout.  I like this concept rather than traditional racks and racks of items. 

The only issue I have is with the clearance area.  It is in the back of the store with both shelving and clothing racks that are very "tight".  I have "spacial" issues and don't like when someone (strangers) invades it.  

As any store that carries a multitude of labels, sizing can be inconsistent, but I find they often run large.  As for the demographics, the average age shopper is between 30-45 and I find this true of my store unless young girls happen to be shopping with their moms. 

Honored Contributor

Just had one open in my town weeks ago and haven't had the chance to check it out yet.  My daughter loves Anthropologie and there's one near her in Philly.

Trusted Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Very, very expensive and IMO the clothes are cut for juniors.

They don't have coupons, but having worked for a major anchor store, I can tell you their cost is generally lower than Ralph Lauren and Karen Kane, more in keeping with Michael Kors.

I'm a S here and a medium everywhere else, including Anthro.

If you are an Anthro member, you will get a 20% off coupon during your birthday month. They also have an extra 25 % and up to 40% off marked prices several times a year.

I love some of Anthro's clothes and others I don't care for---similar to other lines.  Their sizing is super inconsistent.  I can wear a size 2 or a size 6 there or an XXS to a Small.  I always have to try on. 

I hate their shipping costs so I try to buy from the store or order online the few times a year they have free shipping.

I don't buy much at all during the months of March through July.  I won't pay $150 for a cotton blouse.   I love the items I own from there and I probably get more compliments on my Anthro Statement pieces (mostly jackets/toppers/coats) than any other items I purchase.  

Their quality is hit or miss. 

@winamac1

Good morning, Win!  Just want to make sure you know that the only time you have to pay for shipping and handling is when you place an order online.  If you PHONE your order, they gladly waive all S&H.  I know, it doesn't make sense, but I always ask and they do!

Brrrrr!  It is below zero here.  Stay warm!

Thanks for this tip!  Good to know.  I almost never order online because of the shipping charge.

There are several Anthro stores in my area.  Though it used to be one of my favorite stores, I had pretty much stopped shopping at any of them because I couldn't justify the high prices. However, I did go a couple of times during the holiday season.  I bought a cute top on sale and a pretty mug with my birthday coupon (which they would not apply to the sale top), but that was it.  I have to say that, although I know they are going for a vintage vibe, the vast majority of the sale clothing took that to the extreme and actually looked like a bunch of faded, worn out, secondhand stuff ready for the Goodwill pile.  Much of their clothing is definitely not worth what they are asking.

I do love their housewares, though they are also overpriced.  I have scored some really pretty things on sale.

Honored Contributor

Anthropologie is my favorite store.  I don't often pay full price, though.  I don't particularly like their sale room.  The top rack is so high that it's hard for me to check prices or get the pieces down to look at.  It's also a pretty small room.

I like their housewares items, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I only care about clothing there.  The nicknacks, funiture and kitsy junk, I try to weave around.  They even had a sofa on sale, blocking the racks of clothes.

Respected Contributor

LOVE browsing Anthro, rarely buy.  I get lots of inspiration there: from decorating to styling a sweater I may already own.  It always smells nice from all of the great candles.  I probably stop in once every two months or so.

Honored Contributor

Ladies, how do you become an Anthro member?  I looked on their site and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

For me it's hit or miss.  I like to browse in their stores but find their home furnishings and accessories are overpriced. (similar items are in Home Goods for a fraction of the price) Generally I only buy clothing on sale. My DIL loves shopping there.

A friend's daughter was getting married.  She was a bit older and wanted a sophisticated, covered look.  Anthropologie had numerous offerings that were much more reasonable than what she saw in Kleinfelds.

I've found their staff can be patronizing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They have some of the best/cutest hardware in that store.  Like kitchen/bathroom cabinet handles and knobs.

FYI they are doing an extra 25% off sale items now.