Honored Contributor

Re: If you are over 50 do you wear black tops?

I have very fair skin, just like OP. However, l find that I'm wearing more black tops than ever before. They usually have some embellishment to break up the solid black, or else l wear a colorful necklace.

l find that as we age, black hides a "multitude of sins." LOL.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover@handygal2@JavaQueen@Trinity11

Thank you for starting this light-hearted convo!

In my 50's, I kept striving to replace my black wardrobe items with navy ones. Now, a few years later, for various reasons, some days black is just the ticket!

It DOES hide a multitude of sins and I have found, items do not need to be manufactured as flawlessly if they are done in black.  Lots of options for prints, etc.

At one time, I would have chosen light blue over darker colors, not now.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Yep.  I too have heard many so-called fashion experts say that as you age, black is too harsh and you should lighten things up.  I've seen gray suggested as an alternative.

And this is why I detest these fashion rules and I don't really think there is any such thing as a "fashion expert." 

You either have the coloring for black or you don't.  You either like and wear black or you don't.  But once again, if *I* like black, I'm wearing black, even if I'm 97 years old.  Just try and stop me.  LOL  

Super Contributor

I love wearing back and other dark rich colors. I don't wear them as often these days, but not because I'm getting old!

My cat is mostly white, and it's next to impossible to leave the house without some of her fur hitching a ride on me.  I should buy stock in lint rollers, lol.   I look much neater when I wear lighter colored clothing that better hides any fur I've missed. ;-)

Honored Contributor

@dperry wrote:

Thank you to those who are not laughing at my post. To answer some of your questions black does not look good on me it washes me out. It is too stark and now that I am 50 I am even more fair than I was previously. I look very good in navy so I wear that as some of you who wear black wear as one of my basics. 

As for the "seasonal" approach to color. It is working for me. So I will go with it. If you google "soft summer color palette" you will see that black is a color that is not suggested to be worn with people of my coloring. I used to wear it when I was younger (before I had my color analysis) and while it did not look good on me I continued to wear it because well, everyone says that black is chic. Now that my skin is paler and cooler toned I cannot pull it off anymore. I also need a more lighter navy than midnight navy. 

So, I was just taking a break because I am working at home and thought I would start a conversation that I would enjoy. Nothing more serious than that. I wish that we could all be kinder to one another on these boards. I really try to be and wish everyone would.

Just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed this thread. How often do we get to speak to women from many different states with various opinions on our wardrobe choices.

Thank you for starting this thread. It has really been enjoyable to read......and it sounds like you have made really good choices for yourself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

I do like black solid tops and black solid pants but I don't wear them at home much as some black fabric is a pet fur magnet and I have 3 light colored fur babies. I think it's hard to find black tops in store as everyone wants them and they sell out quickly.

For example, I bought a solid black Nygard top from The Shopping Channel in Canada that had already sold out on the Nygard website. It sold out on TSC as well but they must have gotten some returns and my size became available so I grabbed it. It's dressy and I wanted it for summer.

@TY - you just gotta coordinate your clothing and furnishings with your animal companion(s).  ;-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo@Andreatoo wrote:

You know what makes you look older? A falling face, wrinkles and gray hair!

Wearing the color black? Not so much...Although I will say I'm finding lighter more colorful eyeliners (as opposed to stark black) less harsh but then I'm fairhaired, pasty, with light eyes....lots of factors; not just age...

@As long as my @ss doesn't fall, I'm good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JavaQueen wrote:

i laughed when I saw this thread title...not at the OP. Do you realize how many people in NYC wear black? Regardless of age or skin color.

I have friend who is more of a Spring and she looks horrible in black and only wears when necessary. She really does look better in brown and navy. 

I love black and wear tons of it. I do mix it up with other colors.

That's 'cause it's the LAW.  ;-)

Respected Contributor

LOL

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I love wearing black.  And I also often wear black and white.