Respected Contributor

Re: If you are over 50 do you wear black tops?

@ECBG  i agree that very often if not always a little foundation is needed as we age  personally, i'm a big fan of bb creams and sometimes cc creams.  you certainly have the most interesting background with your teaching and then on to retail  i'm so sorry that things didn't work out because of a toxic situation.  i wouldn't be surprised if something better doesn't come down the line for you.  i'll be waiting to hear about it! 

Trusted Contributor

I had my color done and was told Winter. Deep, bright colors.     Had my make-up done at a clinique counter, the consultant picked a color she said was my perfect match and a second girl agreed.  The make-up was applied and they were shocked because I wasn't the light color that was applied.  I had told them I was olive complected, but they didn't beleive it, until after their choice was on me.   I have about 5 black items in my wardrobe, including 1 pair of undies,1 slack, 1 soft top, 1 cami.  Color is always my go to purchase.  Yellow tops the list, followed by white.  Never have I purposely gone for black clothing, never had a LBD. I use to be under 50, now I am over 50.-------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love deep-to-dark chocolate brown on blondes.

Honored Contributor

I am very pale.....but not fair.    Navy works for me.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

at least half of my tops are black.....so yes, black is a very prominent color in my wardrobe from top to bottom.....and i am over 50.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Wow I have gotten an education reading this LOL. I had no idea what being an "autumn, summer or winter is.....having your colors done..never heard of it. LOL Is this a "white folks" thing? Interesting though. Anyway I wear black, love it. Mostly wear all earth tones and no bright colors. I have coal black hair, to my knees and I am well over 50. Am red-olive skinned (half native and half Algerian) Wear no make-up at all, cant be bothered to be honest and dont need it.. Is all earthy colors  al la natural for me and easy peasy. I think maybe is my culture we dont worry about those things. At least I got an education on colors and make-up tonight. Who does these colors things? Macys? Oh the joys of living semi off grid. Hehehe thanks. Rules are made to be broken. People say apples I will go for pears LOL. Go for whatever makes one happy. Wear black, pink....Be happy

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

Wow I have gotten an education reading this LOL. I had no idea what being an "autumn, summer or winter is.....having your colors done..never heard of it. LOL Is this a "white folks" thing? Interesting though. Anyway I wear black, love it. Mostly wear all earth tones and no bright colors. I have coal black hair, to my knees and I am well over 50. Am red-olive skinned (half native and half Algerian) Wear no make-up at all, cant be bothered to be honest and dont need it.. Is all earthy colors  al la natural for me and easy peasy. I think maybe is my culture we dont worry about those things. At least I got an education on colors and make-up tonight. Who does these colors things? Macys? Oh the joys of living semi off grid. Hehehe thanks. Rules are made to be broken. People say apples I will go for pears LOL. Go for whatever makes one happy. Wear black, pink....Be happy

Can't think it's a "white folks" thing, based on my own observation that I have associates from all over the color spectrum and almost everyone dresses as they see fit.

I think the researchingyourcolors thing started in the '70s, and at the time I was just too busy with work, study, family to bother with it.

Your post sounds lke you are in charge of your own style, @Stormygirl, therefore, no worries!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear black mostly every day, and I love it!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

NOt sure why you would even think that black is not okay after 50??

I love black and I am 51 lol....I see everybody wearing black..

I have been told since I was a kid black makes you look slender. Not that I need that but I have always heard positive things about black. This is the first where I heard that it wasn't.

Read some of the replies until I got to LibbyAnne and her reply hits spot on for me!! I totally agree.

I happen to think that pastels in moderation as otherwise you look like a giant Easter Egg..lol..I like some pastels but usually pair them with black/grey slacks..I love the colors per say just not wanting to go around looking like an Easter Egg ...just in my mind I know..

Trusted Contributor

64 year old here who has let her beautiful hair be gray & loving it. I have lots of black tops but do tend to get tired of it come spring, as I wear it so often in winter. But even now, I find myself reaching for those tops often with my khakis or with a bleached denim short. I think black is classy & I don't understand why my age has any bearing on the color I wear on top. I also wear blush pink tops.