Honored Contributor

If women have curves why are clothes cut straight up and down

I am returning 4 tops to the other network, I am a woman with curves and I like to show them, my question is why is so much  of the clothing for women, cut like it is for a man 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: If women have curves why are clothes cut straight up and down

I do not find this to be true.When you buy clothing in the proper size it should fit your curves perfectly.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am returning 4 tops to the other network, I am a woman with curves and I like to show them, my question is why is so much  of the clothing for women, cut like it is for a man 

I have curves, too, but I don't want everything I wear to make me look like a stuffed sausage.    It has nothing to do with dressing like a man!   There's a time and place for everything.

As for the clothing you are returning, if the tops offered measurements, or you saw them on a model, you can usually determine if something is fitted, semi fitted or relaxed.  JMO

Occasional Contributor

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have an hourglass shape. 41-32-41 wear 38 DD bra. And either my shoulders in tops are too wide to accommodate my bust, or I fit in the shoulders and look like a fluzzy, showing my chest off to everyone.   I always have to belt items to show I do have a waist, otherwise everything just hangs out as far as my chest which makes me look Apple shaped or pregnant. 

Honored Contributor

On me the items just seem to hang and I am ordering the right size

@ShoppingDeprivedLady wrote:

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have an hourglass shape. 41-32-41 wear 38 DD bra. And either my shoulders in tops are too wide to accommodate my bust, or I fit in the shoulders and look like a fluzzy, showing my chest off to everyone.   I always have to belt items to show I do have a waist, otherwise everything just hangs out as far as my chest which makes me look Apple shaped or pregnant. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Generally speaking, different lines of clothing have different specific measurements. I try and stick with those that fit me. There are quite a few different brands of clothing that cut for different body types. Banana Republic and the Loft both have different fits to choose from. So does Anne Taylor.

Honored Contributor

I think the designers make the clothes for the models because their designs look best on very tall thin women. I applaud the Q for lines like D&Co, Joan Rivers Collection and Liz Claiborne that is designed for women of all ages and all sizes and shapes. The Q has other lines I think fit us all, but they are not my taste so I won't mention them.

Honored Contributor

Clothing on tv is cut to fit more people because it makes for fewer returns and unhappy people.  Curves are all different.  If you want to fit curvy, you need to shop at different paces and try on the clothing first to be sure the curves fit your curves.

I don't think a tv shopping outlet would do well selling curvy clothes to people.  How could you possibly know if it fit and looked nice?

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I'm  a woman with curves, I have been all my life.  I don't find that to be true at all.  I never found that to be true, not even way back in my size 28 days.  Perhaps it's the quality, style and type of clothing you are buying.

Honored Contributor

@ShoppingDeprivedLady wrote:

That's not the clothes; that's do to your proportions.  You are "busty", so when you buy to fit the girls, the shoulders are too large.  You might be one of those women who has to have tops altered to get a good fit.