Honored Contributor

Re: If a silk shirt says "dry clean only" can you still wash it by hand?

I never buy anything if it says to dry clean only. If I mistakenly do buy something to dry clean, I always wash it in my washing machine on delicate. Never ruined anything yet.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don't like polyester so I have many silk blouses. I hand wash all of them, including the dry clean only ones and have never had a problem with any of them. I would not wear a dry cleaned item next to my skin. The chemicals in dry cleaning are carcinogens. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

I don't like polyester so I have many silk blouses. I hand wash all of them, including the dry clean only ones and have never had a problem with any of them. I would not wear a dry cleaned item next to my skin. The chemicals in dry cleaning are carcinogens. 

Never thought about it, (the chemicals)

I just can't be bothered to take anything to the cleaners, I wash just about everything myself

I wouldn't wash anything with a tons of pleats and fiddlely things that need to be pressed, heck I wouldn't buy it either.

Respected Contributor

I hand wash all my silks and I also hang them up dripping wet (just pull them right out of the full sink and onto a plastic hanger)  and they "Iron" themselves. The weight of the water smooths them out and if still a few wrinkles I crank up my steamer. Haven't ruined one thing yet. I sure miss all the wonderful silk clothing Q use to offer. I still have quite a few of those pieces and they still look lovely after all these years.

Respected Contributor

I've hand washed silk and it was fine, and I've hand washed silk that was ruined. And I've never been able to figure out the difference. Dry clean only items I dry clean until a time that I feel like the dry cleaning cost starts to cost more to me than I enjoy wearing the item. Then I take a chance and hand wash knowing I might have to throw it out. Obviously not something like a coat, but dresses and tops. 

Honored Contributor

Dry cleaning chemicals are dangerous.  I don't dry clean anything.

Respected Contributor

i always test with cold water in a spot like a seam where there is stitching. it sounds nutty but once the test area is dried i use a magnifying glass to note if the weave has shrunk or the seam stitching has buckled. if the seaming is double needle you can see if it is tighter after testing.

it's maybe 60% yes, 40% dry clean. 

i don't like dry cleaning at all but i go by the label.  Dry Clean means hand washing is likely ok. If the label reads "Dry Clean Only" means just that.

Honored Contributor

are the home dry clean kits, the ones you through in the dryer, still available?

I too have a couple of things that got past me with dry clean only instructions!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

are the home dry clean kits, the ones you through in the dryer, still available?

I too have a couple of things that got past me with dry clean only instructions!

through means throw!

Respected Contributor

i think the better the quality silk and weight, the more likely i would follow instructions to dry clean.  much to expensive to ruin by washing by any method.