Honored Contributor

Re: If Isaac Mizrahi sold his company to Excel Brands in 2011 who designs his clothes for QVC?

I think it's also possible that he designs items, and then they appear under either his brand (IM Live) or LCNY, so he doesn't know until they show up that they have been "branded" as his. It could also be that he designs the items, and by the time they go to production he has forgotten about them. Another possibility is that he designs something, like a floral watercolor, and then it shows up as a scarf/cardigan/dress/shirt and he had envisioned it for something else. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Trusted Contributor

Re: If Isaac Mizrahi sold his company to Excel Brands in 2011 who designs his clothes for QVC?

On 3/4/2015 Scotnovel said:

According to a 2014 article that I read on Forbes:

Xcel Brands is the parent company for the H Halston, Issac Mizrahi, & Judith Ripka brands and owns an interest in the Liz Claiborne New York brand.

Issac is listed as a creative director of the company. According to Xcel web site they have a team of over 50 designers.

It's plausible that QVC simply has a licensing deal with Xcel to use the Isaac, Judith, and Liz brand names on clothing/ jewlery produced in their contracted factories in China.

One Chinese factory will produce all sorts of brands, and I'm sure fabrics and styles overlap. Part of the licensing agreement would be that Isaac appears on air to give the impression that he is designing the clothes.

Respected Contributor

From looking at the blog on SG's design studio I think she does appear to actually design her clothes - she certainly never looks surprised when an item is shown (unlike Isaac). Totally agree that Louis Dell Olio and Bob Mackie design their own lines and are very knowledgeable about them - also George Simonton that is why we do not see these 3 designers on air so much - though lots of us would like to see more of their designs as their clothes are very good quality.
Respected Contributor

I think all these comments show why I think of the Q clothes as being the typical Chinese produced clothes. The construction is the same, etc. That is why they have lost my business in clothes. The HSN clothes I have bought, especially G by G Rancic, seem well made.
If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

I like Isaac a lot but please, PLEASE take 15 minutes before the show and go look at what you are selling so that you can at least pretend you have seen the items if not designed them.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Most of the clothes sold in this country come from other countries (that includes HSN).

It's very difficult to find clothes that are strictly made in this country, unfortunately.

Does it make it right? No, of course not. We are all so used to inferior designs and quality, I don't think most would know quality if it bit them in the @#$. I'm not any different.

I doubt that anything is going to change, every year it gets worse. The American consumer wants 'a bargain'.

But, let us now forget the bottom line is that American businesses are more concerned with profit vs quality.

We all live in a throw away society. Most of us 'old timers' know that we live in a throw away society. Something breaks, throw it away, get a new one. Cell phone breaks, get a new one.

Like I said, I'm not any different from anyone else, I'm probably worse because I realize it and just complain about it.

Esteemed Contributor

You aren't the only one who gets the impression that I.M. has never seen some of the items before that he's presenting on air.

He's someone who will put his name on anything...tissue, paper towels, yarn, dishes.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/4/2015 circles said:

Was part of his selling his brand include that all the models MUST wear sunglasses during his time on air....so ridiculous....

I agree - it just looks dumb
Trusted Contributor

On 3/4/2015 circles said:

Was part of his selling his brand include that all the models MUST wear sunglasses during his time on air....so ridiculous....

I like the sunglasses. I think it draws your attention to the clothing and accessories more and I think the models look stylish.

I hardly think the same people design Liz Claiborne and Isaac. Isaac's clothing is a much better quality. Sorry, but it is. The fit, the patterns and designs are so much better. Liz Claiborne has really gone down hill since she died. To me it is mediocre. So there are obviously different teams and price points.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 jonbon said:
On 3/4/2015 mia 2 said:

Wow, I am very surprised Susan Graver is not designing any of her clothes. What a shock. When she sells them she talks in the first person saying she made this print, picked the fabric, etc. Maybe that is why she is wrong on the fit of the item or doesn't mention the fit, leading customers to buy the incorrect size. According to what <em>Wackers</em> wrote, Susan G. is not being authentic. I like her clothes, but am very surprised.

Here's an interesting blog by Sandra Bennett about Susan's design studio:

Sandra's blog

Thanks for posting this - it was interesting! Susan seems to be very involved with her line. I'm sure everything that goes out on the floor has her approval. I'm going with that for Isaac too. Even though he doesn't actually do the designs, I'll bet he sees pictures of them before they hit the floor. He may see a lot of pictures at once, so that's why he seems confused sometimes, but I doubt if he'd let any item go by his desk without seeing it.