Honored Contributor

Re: IS IT UGLY SHOE WEEK ... OR WHAT?

@gardensla wrote:

The TSV (6/23)? 

I have to agree with you; that is one ugly shoe.

And then they have to make them in metallic, bright in-your-face colors.

I just can't.

No, I just can't.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I really want a pair of Alegrias, although they're not the most beautiful shoes.  I love that rocker bottom on them.  They seem like they'd be so great to walk in.  The TSV is way too bare for my taste because where I live 8-9 months of the year you don't wear sandals.  Add that to the fact that I have wide feet and QVC doesn't have many wides in this brand and it's not in the cards for me to get them today.  I hope to get a pair by September so that I can wear them all the way through next June on my walks.  I like to walk during the cooler seasons because there aren't so many people and dogs out and I have the streets, the park, and the beach almost entirely to myself.

Does anyone know whether they'll be having another TSV later in the year?

@Ms X

I responded to you on another post, but to make sure you saw it, Alegria doesn't actually make a 'wide' shoe. They make a wide insert that allows more width to the shoe, but the actual shoe is the same as the 'medium' width.

It is my understanding (from the company) that the wide insert in thinner, which supposedly adds more width to the shoe (?).

When you order a wide from their website or in shoe stores, what you get is the same medium width shoe, but with a wide insert that gives you additional width.

The wide inserts are sold here on Q and in stores that carry this brand. HTH!

I must admit, I don't really understand how that works, but I had to get that info from the Alegria company itself, when I inquired about their wide sizes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@gardensla wrote:

The TSV (6/23)? 

I have to agree with you; that is one ugly shoe.

And then they have to make them in metallic, bright in-your-face colors.

I just can't.

No, I just can't.

Not me! I love happy shoes! LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much, @KingstonsMom!  I didn't know that.  It makes the sizing issue even more complicated for those of us with wide feet.  I just love these shoes for walking, but I want a true 8-1/2 W.  They don't offer that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Is there NO company out there that makes comfy shoes that are also ATTRACTIVE?    

Okay, how about moderately good looking?    How about NOT gaudy?

Okay, I may be the only one here that thinks the styles need work ....  no, there must be a couple others ... perhaps?

Anyone ?

I know what you're saying.

Yes, the TSV is unflattering, very unflattering.  It's like they want grown women to go back to wearing shoes for children. Other brands also offer unflattering and unattractive shoes.  Comfort?  There's also comfort in other styles that are cute and flirty.  Seems like some makers don't want females to be feminine looking at all.  Just put on some troglodyte styles and everyone can look like a beast.  No thank you.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@birkin baby wrote:

There definitely is a gap between really attractive shoes and comfort,support,and orthotic footbeds. I don't get why there is always the same general upper with these type shoes. When I see Alegria I think nurse, dental assistant, waitress,etc. I know some will take offense to that, but they do seem to be part of the uniform. I also think that the patterns and colors are "fun", but simply not my style. This shoe would be much better in a very nice leather or suede. All that tooling, metallic patterns,and the butterfly makes it a no for me. I love shoes and have mid-foot arthritis,so I have challenges too.

Your post makes me chuckle because I always associated Alegria, Dansko, and Reiker with healthcare, restaurant, and other workers who are on their feet for hours.  However, pain is a great humbler when it comes to what footwear one finds attractive because whatever feels best is where you ultimately have to settle for.  

It's not a question of cost as there's nothing cheap about AlegriaI's price points. I do like some the Alegria prints and tooled designs, and that brand is comfortable to my numerous issues.  Is it the be all, end all, only brand I wear... NO.  Of course there are other bands which fit me well, and I buy those too.  To name a few which are comfortable (to me), and have styles which don't cramp my style: Thierry Rabotin, Bernie Mev, Earth, Taryn Rose, Arche, Easy Spirit.  

One brand I used to love, but no longer works for me is Clarks.  I was so dissapointed in the last few purchased that I gave up on the brand.  I haven't bought a Clarks shoe in almost three years (from QVC or elsewhere).  I can't put my finger on the exact reason the shoes are no longer comfortable, but in my case it could be the memory foam footbeds are too squishy now.  For me sometimes too much squish is not supportive enough for my achy knees and structural foot issues.  

Occasional Contributor

I agree that QVC does seem to present more unattractive than pretty shoes.  It is possible to get both, but Jane Treacy clearly likes ugly shoes.....Sorry but I wore mary janes as a child and just don't want to as an adult.  I know that you sell tons of them so I understand that you go with whatever sells best.  I do most of my shoe shopping elsewhere..but I love IM's moccasins and buy them when he has a show....

Respected Contributor

I don't pine for pretty and impractical shoes at all -- not after what they have done to ruin my ankles and feet.  No love lost there.  If I could go on the lecture circuit and caution young women about high spikes and pointy toes, I would.

I have had good luck with Earth brand and I think they're pretty stylish without sacrificing comfort.  I recently got Earth shooties and love them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree about the MaryJane style for women.  That was all I wore as a child because I always had a narrow foot and would walk right out of anythng else.  I've had a personal "aversion" to that style since then!  I know some ladies love them, but I "paid my dues" for wearing MaryJanes!!!!Smiley LOL

Spoiler

Oops!  Not sure how I got that "spoiler" tag in there!!!! 

Trusted Contributor

I have thin legs and these shoes would make me look like Minnie Mouse. LOL

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning