Esteemed Contributor

Re: IS IT UGLY SHOE WEEK ... OR WHAT?

@TY wrote:

I regularly read the Footwear News website and I read a report that women's shoe sales were down in May. A cold and wet spring is getting the blame once again for women not spending money on sandals and other women's shoes but let's face it....shoe companies run by men are clueless when it comes to pretty and comfort. It's one or the other, not both which is why I refuse to buy. 

Add to that, a lot of shoes are ill fitting and only come in mediums and I can easily put the brakes on shoe spending until I find what I want. My mantra this year is I won't settle for less.

I agree!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I go for comfort, but with that said I never wear sandals.  I don't feel safe with my toes exposed. I guess everyone has their preferences but the price point on these shoes are way out of line for me.  I find sales at outlets or online or I just don't buy until the price is right.  

Respected Contributor

Yep!!! Seems so...

There is a difference between a comfortable shoe and an ugly shoe! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I became so sick and tired of throwing out good money on shoes that just didn't fit right that I finally bit the bullet and started to spend good money on good shoes. I now stick to just a few brands that work for me...Munro American, Beautifeel, and Arche. None of these brands come from Asia or South America, where all those shoes I've tossed out came from. I know my size in these brands and can safely order them online because the sizing is consistent. They're expensive, but I find great discounts on various websites. Each of the brands I mentioned have very comfortable shoes and some of them are very attractive. I realized I'd rather spend more money on shoes I can wear than spend more money on shoes I cannot wear and have to give away.

Honored Contributor

The Alegria style is not my taste.  However, I'm sure they're quite comfortable.  And speaking of comfort.......got my Clark's TSV and wore them all day yesterday.  I hated to take them off, they're that comfortable!!!!  Got them in Stone and Grenadine.  A great shoe!

Esteemed Contributor

The TSV (6/23)? 

I have to agree with you; that is one ugly shoe.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really want a pair of Alegrias, although they're not the most beautiful shoes.  I love that rocker bottom on them.  They seem like they'd be so great to walk in.  The TSV is way too bare for my taste because where I live 8-9 months of the year you don't wear sandals.  Add that to the fact that I have wide feet and QVC doesn't have many wides in this brand and it's not in the cards for me to get them today.  I hope to get a pair by September so that I can wear them all the way through next June on my walks.  I like to walk during the cooler seasons because there aren't so many people and dogs out and I have the streets, the park, and the beach almost entirely to myself.

Does anyone know whether they'll be having another TSV later in the year?

Respected Contributor

There definitely is a gap between really attractive shoes and comfort,support,and orthotic footbeds. I don't get why there is always the same general upper with these type shoes. When I see Alegria I think nurse, dental assistant, waitress,etc. I know some will take offense to that, but they do seem to be part of the uniform. I also think that the patterns and colors are "fun", but simply not my style. This shoe would be much better in a very nice leather or suede. All that tooling, metallic patterns,and the butterfly makes it a no for me. I love shoes and have mid-foot arthritis,so I have challenges too.

Frequent Contributor

Have you tried hotterusa.com? British company, lots of styles, colorful! As a retired RN with size 11NurseFeet, I highly recommend ( just purchased 3 new pair:  Nirvana, Rimini, Mexico). 

Honored Contributor

Before all my joint replacements... I had to resort to UGLY SHOES. Mary Janes etc.  So I understand why people by them... for the comfort when you are hurting..  I donated all my mary Janes to good will after my last hip replacement and never want to see one again. They served their purpose and  now I can wear cute shoes again.. NO HIGH HEELS of course.. but NO MARY JANES!!!!!!!!!!