Honored Contributor

Re: IMAN Platinum Collection TS - 10/25/15

I'll admit I'm not an Iman fan to start with and I'd sworn to never purchase her clothing.

Alas I broke my own promise to myself when the 2 pair palazzos were reduced heavily. Unfortunately they went back because aside from the fact that the average length on the small was 2 inches above my ankles (I'm 5'2!) the fabric was pretty awful. Weird unpleasant texture and very flimsy. I had a similar experience with another psuedo designer from a different channel..

I'm sticking to real clothing manufacturers from now on.

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I'll admit I'm not an Iman fan to start with and I'd sworn to never purchase her clothing.

Alas I broke my own promise to myself when the 2 pair palazzos were reduced heavily. Unfortunately they went back because aside from the fact that the average length on the small was 2 inches above my ankles (I'm 5'2!) the fabric was pretty awful. Weird unpleasant texture and very flimsy. I had a similar experience with another psuedo designer from a different channel..

@Andreatoo I don't order much from HSN in general because my luck with them has been so bad.  I blame myself because I have bought a number of things on deep discount -- and got exactly what I paid for.  I decided to chance it again some months ago and bought a very simple cardigan from Iman.  It should have been fool proof but the material was so scratchy that I sent it back.  I don't get it.  So many women LOVE her things.

As for the TS, I'm not a good candidate even if I enjoyed shopping HSN. I am a busty size medium and the vest over the coat would make me look like a polar bear, I fear.  Iman looked great in it though.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a lot of experience with Iman's items but I will say that the few things I've ordered, I never would have paid full price for and I've not gotten much wear out of what I have.

I ordered a top that came with a "free" necklace and the necklace was deplorable.  It was like a child's play jewelry and went into the trash.  I bought a knit uneven hemmed top with gold lurex through it.  The top is super soft and a hefty weight but the bottom of it is odd and I never know wht to wear it with.  The front and back are at the waist but the sides are long. It's just weird.

I also bought a pair of above the ankle brown suede wedge boots.  They were uber cheap in price and they were worth what I paid for them. The suede is not high quality at all.       

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Andreatoo I don't order much from HSN in general because my luck with them has been so bad.  I blame myself because I have bought a number of things on deep discount -- and got exactly what I paid for.  I decided to chance it again some months ago and bought a very simple cardigan from Iman.  It should have been fool proof but the material was so scratchy that I sent it back.  I don't get it.  So many women LOVE her things.

As for the TS, I'm not a good candidate even if I enjoyed shopping HSN. I am a busty size medium and the vest over the coat would make me look like a polar bear, I fear.  Iman looked great in it though.

Don't write them all off! I've had good luck with Slinky. While some of it can look a bit old lady-ish they drew me in with a peplum top (I can't resist a peplum!) and I bought it in 2 colors! I've since purchased an lbd on clearance and a pair of slim leg trousers. All 4 pieces have been nicely made and of comfy fabrications.

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo  Thanks for the tip!  I am a cautious TV shopper...and when I have a bad experience I shy away.  Thanks for the tip on Slinky.  I'll try to watch next time it is on.  I find the presentations grate a bit on my nerves so I don't stay with them very long to see the full offerings.  But the fabrics look as though they would layer well under cardigans -- and I am always in the market for good layering pieces. Atthony's last TSV cardigan caught my eye in the wine color...but I couldn't pull the trigger.  And Marla Wynn (sp?) offers a slim cut pant that looks tempting.  Again, I feel snake bitten.

The last HSN purchase I made was a Curations packable down jacket with a great collar.  It was deeply discounted at an insane price.  The jacket is darling, has a great slim fit -- so I kept it.  But whenever I wear it, little feathers come out and get on me and whomever I'm sitting next to.  It is crazy!

Esteemed Contributor

@islandgrrl, I used to buy a lot on HSN, not so much anymore. I have two early Slinky dresses that are to die for, three years ago. Iman seems to always disappoint so wasn't even tempted by the TSV, agree that the vest over would make ANYone look like a polar bear! I do love my Antthony sweater coat in wine! Woman Wink 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack  I knew I would regret passing on the Atthony sweater.  By the time I got around to considering it seriously, the wine was gone.  I'm sure that HSN has many great brands.  I frequently see women on these boards posting about how much they like their fashion.  I agree that they offer great sales...but the quality just hasn't been there for me in the few things I have purchased.

QVC offers many, many, many things that I am not the least bit interested in but when I do take a chance, I rarely return an item because of poor quality. The Halston items that you and I have purchased are as good as many sweaters I have bought at Nordstrom.  I wish the Q had more variety that appeals to me but at least my luck has been mostly good with the things I've tried.

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

I love HSN, and I buy a lot from HSN.  I like Andrew Lessman, some Adrienne Landau, some Iman, some Twiggy, Too Faced, Lancome, huggable hangers, etc.  I like many of Iman's T.S.'s.  That being said, this coat was not anything I'd ever buy even on a deep discount.  It just wasn't my style.  She, overall, makes very nice coats, and I own at least a half dozen of her previous T.S.'s.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 

Thanks for the listing of good lines from HSN.  I'll have to check them out.  I am the only woman in all of America for whom Andrew Lessman's hair, nails and skin vitamins did not do a thing.  I should have known then that I was living under an HSN curse! Cat Tongue

Speaking of Huggable Hangers (sort of) I bought a set of faux HH at Costco this past weekend.  35 hangers for just under $10.  Now that I have switched out the hall coat closet, I wish I had bought another set.