Respected Contributor

Re: IF You Were To Buy A Blazer.......

Traditional only for me.  Don't like the look of the other one.

Trusted Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

@Bridgegal 

( speaking of shoulders.....back in the 1980's I had quite a few jackets and blazers with shoulder pads....what a tragic mistake that was. Smiley Very Happy)

@SunSprite  I so agree!  Those big shoulders looked a lot better on Linda Evans and Joan Collins on Dynasty!

I would opt for blazer #1 because I'm a traditionalist and a conservative dresser (It makes for a good disguise--I look like a serious old lady! 😉)  The inverted collar thing always seems to get makeup on it, so pass.

Valued Contributor

That blazer is so pretty @cherry - a classic. That is a blazer I would enjoy having and wearing. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I just bought Talbot's new black watch  plaid blazer with the velvet collar. I own a Talbtos' black velvet blazer with the inverted lapels. I like both styles a lot

@cherry 

That black watch is very, very pretty.  Congratulations. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although the first blazer is said to be traditional, the lapel appears too wide and those seams make it look like a patchwork desig, not a normal place for a traditional blazer plus the fabric looks like that awful scuba fabric.  I like the second one although inverted is said to be inverted (or is the lapel just turned in like one turns a collar up to make it stand up).  The fabric on the first one looks like that scuba material that makes my skin crawl.  I actually like the fabric and the style of the second jacket otherwise better.  I think I like a combination of these two jackets and don't love either.

Honored Contributor

They're both good!   But over time, I've realized that prominent, conventional lapels on blazers are somehow "too much" for me.  On Katharine Hebburn's chic-ly imposing angles, yes.  But on smaller, curvier me, prominent lapels look too busy and take up too much room.  I almost always look like a child playing dress-up.

So, very slim lapels, or those inverted ones you show, @ECBG, or no lapels at all (that's why jean cut jackets look better on me) work better for me...  

Respected Contributor

I already have all of the “traditional” blazers that I could possibly need, so unless I were replacing one of them, I would go with the inverted lapels. I really don’t wear them much so in reality, I probably wouldn’t be buying one. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  the inverted lapels are a very tailored look, and I like it a lot. It also pairs well with lots of other garments

Talbot's have  a nice selection

I love blazers, they add a lot to any outfit, be it jeans  or a dress ,or skirt

Respected Contributor

@ECBG Predictable me--if I can only choose/buy one I would choose the traditional version.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@ECBG Predictable me--if I can only choose/buy one I would choose the traditional version.

@aroc3435 

I'm with you.  They aren't selling where I work or when I see them on line.  I think that style is going to be very dated.  The inverted lapel also comes in so far that you barely see the blouse.