Honored Contributor

I’ve ordered clothes for some crazy reason.

I have nowhere to go, but I've ordered clothing in the past week. I must be losing my mind. I'd want to support Avenue, plus size clothing, because they are struggling to keep afloat, so I ordered two items from them. I will order my Matrix Biolage Shampoo and Biolage Conditioner from Penney's because they are also struggling. Where I feel I went too far is my order from Fullbeauty. This is a plus size clothing company and they don't seem to be struggling at all. I order from them, but I don't love their clothes, so I have no idea why I am buying from them now. I spent too much money with them, too. Only a few of the things will be great for wearing around the house. The rest of the stuff will just take up space.
I have been wanting some perfume for nine months, and holding off because it's expensive Valentino. I might get it just to bring me little joy. I've lost a cousin and an uncle and I've had my closest friends go through a multitude of serious medical problems this year. Maybe I just need to do this for some kind of therapeutic purpose. Will buying a bottle of perfume lift my spirits?

Honored Contributor

Re: I’ve ordered clothes for some crazy reason.

@Mindy D  You are not losing your mind!  I don't "need" anything but I have ordered from HSN, Macy's, Walmart in the past few weeks.  Shopping is therapy for me and while I prefer to do it in person, online is a substitute.  Plus it gives me something to look forward to!!  As long as I can afford to, I will keep on shopping!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Mindy D  You are not losing your mind!  I don't "need" anything but I have ordered from HSN, Macy's, Walmart in the past few weeks.  Shopping is therapy for me and while I prefer to do it in person, online is a substitute.  Plus it gives me something to look forward to!!  As long as I can afford to, I will keep on shopping!

@kaydee50 @You are so sweet to respond this way. 

Esteemed Contributor

While your efforts to support struggling etailers is thoughtful, keep in mind if they fold or file BK you may not get your order and it's a headache disputing cc charges. I don't feel sorry for some retailers. Heavily leveraged, they brought this on themselves.

I bought a pair of DB winter dress slacks on clearance here for $20. That's it for clothing. Picked up 2 travel/sample sizes of perfume on the bay. Been wanting to try them and if they don't work for me I'm only out a few bucks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D   I think we are all missing shopping or just browsing in stores. I AM!  
  I have plenty of varieties of perfumes and recently wanted Evening in Paris! I was wondering why and realized that my mother wore it. I've been dreaming of her more since the Pandemic. I recall the blue bottle that was sold in drugstores and was cheap. It's in a catalog and almost as much as Joy now! It's a memory.

I'm realizing that the world is different now. Our state has mandated masks. People can't see lipstick and makeup is a problem. We can't go to restaurants inside here so why wear much dress up?

I've decided to keep my old clothes since I'll be in at least a year until a vaccine. Same goes for Christmas, etc decorations....nobody comes inside. I'll use my plentiful old items and save money. I may need it for food!

Respected Contributor

Mindy D  if you can afford the things that you have been ordering without running up credit card debt and if these things bring you joy why not? The problem is if buying things becomes your only source of enjoyment. You asked if buying a bottle of perfume will lift your spirits. Perhaps but maybe only temporarily. Why not go on a buying hiatus and see how you feel. Spend your time going through your closets and organize your things. Find clothes to donate to a shelter. 

You are not alone in this. I have also bought a lot in the past couple of months. But now I stop and ask myself if I need it and if the answer is no I don't buy. Take care.

Respected Contributor

I've been buying clothes too.  I am still working so I want to look nice, even though I don't see a lot of people right now. I figure things will get back to normal someday and I'll have gotten some truly killer prices on clothes that I can wear then.  For example I got a $138 pump from Ann Taylor for $20.  I'm hoping by the fall I will have a place to wear them.  I think that keeping your wardrobe updated like we normally would gives us a sense of being more "normal" as opposed to becoming a full time slob. At least, for some.  I get sick of wearing sweats all weekend since there is nowhere to go so sometimes I'll put on a decent outfit and take a walk around town, pick up a bottle of wine.  I got a new perfume recently and it makes me feel nice when I wear it.  

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Where I feel I went too far is my order from Fullbeauty. This is a plus size clothing company and they don't seem to be struggling at all. I order from them, but I don't love their clothes, so I have no idea why I am buying from them now. I spent too much money with them, too. Only a few of the things will be great for wearing around the house. 

I would suggest, if you can, to return the clothing from Fullbeauty. It's fine if you like to shop and it's not putting you in debt, but you should really like all the things that you buy.

Get that bottle of perfum you want.Heart

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D Sweetie, return the clothes you didn't want from Fullbeauty.  After all, clothes we don't like rarely if ever get worn.  That return may pay for half a bottle of your purfume!

Also, we've added to the "Things That Make You Laugh" thread if you haven't visited recently.

Valued Contributor

I think shopping does lift our spirits.  I held off and did no "fun" shopping for myself for almost 2 months.  About 2 weeks ago, I began receiving emails from my favorite retailers advertising 30, 40 even 50% off.  Well, that was it!  I just went onto the sites to look around. lol  Just buying a few things made me feel good.  I do wonder when and where I will feel comfortable wearing my new clothes though.   

I think buying clothes and other goodies for ourselves now makes us feel like life will return to some kind of normal again.