Honored Contributor

I've never used the word "fabrication" And others

[ Edited ]

Just today's random "they mean nothing" musings. 

I refer to the fabric as fabric. I'd never heard of fabrication till watching the fashion shows on the Q. 

I also don't use the word garment. I call whatever it is by its actual name.   Nothing wrong with the word garment certainly. It's just not a term I've ever used.  

While I'm at it, I also say pants, in the plural. I've never said "this is a great pant". I'd never heard of pants in the singular till watching QVC. 

And finally, I carry my purse. I never, ever, ever "wear" a purse. 

Again, these musings mean nothing and aren't important. I have AM Style on this morning and they just said fabrication and I realized that I've never used the word. And so I posted.

Carry on everyone, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: I've never used the word "fabrication" And others

I agree with all you said - fabrication means to build something - not a word to describe the fabric an item of clothing is made from.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  astute observations....I love words.  I don't think I would "wear" a purse as it implies that I literally have it on my body but it makes life interesting to play with words.

Respected Contributor

I don't say fabrication. 

I don't say pocketbook.  I say purse or handbag. 

I say pant in this context - "That's a nice pant"  What does the fabric feel like on that pant." 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I agree with all you said - fabrication means to build something - not a word to describe the fabric an item of clothing is made from.

Yes, it is a word used in manufacturing. 

Honored Contributor

That word "fabrication" and the way it is used really bugs me. The word is so misused!

How bout this one?....

UTILIZE

Can we just say "use"?

Sesquipedalianism...rolling eyes.gif

Valued Contributor

How about "bran new" omitting the D?  One of the hosts always says it that way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kardi

I also hear it said "bran spankin new".  I wonder where that came from?

I edited this to say I looked it up and it is supposed to be a phrase like this"...Brand spanking new.  It means "entirely new".  I can't say I mind it....Americans are very inventive people!  Different parts of the country talk a bit differently and some of these were things people just made up and they took hold somehow.  

Esteemed Contributor

Butchering the English language has become acceptable. We all make mistakes but trying to speak and write correctly is seen by some as a sign of snobbery. One of my French instructors told me that the reason she retired is that she couldn't teach a foreign language to people who don't understand the structure of their own language. QVC intentionally butchers the language in the name of marketing. Big words, even if incorrect, create an impression of quality and superiority, as in "The fabrication of this polyesteroid shmattah is reminiscent of the merchandisery seen on the sidewalkery of Madison Avenue."

Valued Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Butchering the English language has become acceptable. We all make mistakes but trying to speak and write correctly is seen by some as a sign of snobbery. One of my French instructors told me that the reason she retired is that she couldn't teach a foreign language to people who don't understand the structure of their own language. QVC intentionally butchers the language in the name of marketing. Big words, even if incorrect, create an impression of quality and superiority, as in "The fabrication of this polyesteroid shmattah is reminiscent of the merchandisery seen on the sidewalkery of Madison Avenue."

LOL --so true!