Esteemed Contributor

Re: I've got a plan but need help from the seamstresses...

I agree with the other Seamstresses......a nightmare to alter....would be easier to just make a pair from scratch....

Honored Contributor

Re: I've got a plan but need help from the sewers...

@GenXmuse  I guess I am too.  I thought the sameSmiley Wink

@GenXmuse wrote:

Nah, I’m just a weirdo!

Honored Contributor

I think it would be better to shop for a pattern and fabric, and have them made from scratch

Honored Contributor

Any kind of alteration can be done. Question is...how much are you willing to pay for it?? The cost of altering them might cost well over what you paid for those cargos. Personally, I would just move on from them and find another pair that fits.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo  men are built like a wedge ,and women like an hourglass. more or less

We are apples and oranges so to speak, there are exceptions of course, but you are not one. You are a definite hourglass figure. I don't think you are going to have any luck with men's  shorts or pants

Honored Contributor

Dickies Women's Relaxed Fit Cotton Cargo Short

Honored Contributor

The picture underneath is from D*ckies. They are women's relxed fit cargo shorts. You might be able to size up for a looser fit and have them tailored

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

If I understand correctly, they are too long from the crotch to the top button above the zipper (and possibly up the back of the shorts too), but if you pull them down they fit at the hips.  If that's the case, it's a major reconstruction.  It would entail removing the waist band, trimming excess fabric at the top and upper hip are and removing the zipper for a shorter one.   Then there's  adjustments to the waist band itself.   I don't see any other way around it.  If I were to alter them, and you weren't such a nice person, I'd charge you an arm and a leg.

I've sewn all my life from dresses to suits to coats, so I do have some experience.  If I've misunderstood your question, I apologize.  

All of the above and if there are side pockets, they need to be altered and the back pockets won't be in the proper place. 

Honored Contributor

The only other thing I can suggest is go to a place like Cabellas, and see if you can find something there

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo  I don't sew, but if I wanted shorts like that, and I know that I have seen them somewhere (?), I would look for a pattern and find a seamstress/tailor to make you a pair.  You will then have them fit exactly for you and the cost would probably be the same as for alterations.  Yours would be custom just for you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!