Trusted Contributor

I should have known....tried the Pantone color Living Coral and, uh, no

[ Edited ]

So I am an adult and I know better than to wear colors just because they are in. In fact, for three years I have only worn the colors in my palette that go with my skintone.

Well, last week when Kim Gravel had her TSV I bought

A347134
Belle by Kim Gravel Bandana Border Print V-Neck Blouse in Paradise Pink

It didn't work out! The color clashed horribly with my coloring! The blouse is gorgeous though. I did my first equal exchange and ordered the blue. I appreciate that I don't have to pay for return shipping to get a new color. 

So lesson learned when Gary and Isaac say color goes with everyone's skintone and everyone needs some I will just ignore their advice and order the neutral cool tones that suit me.  

Nice blouse though.

Honored Contributor

Re: I should have known....tried the Pantone color Living Coral and, uh, no

I hope you get your flattering color.  I'm finding her stuff sells out pretty fast, so I hope my proper size in my first order from her is still available.  I'm seeing an ad on TV for Universal Color lipsticks from Maybelline.  They are supposed to suit all skin tones. This will be interesting.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

I have ventured out occasionally...and usually go right back in!

As with the yellows/avocado greens/olives/golds I stick to wearing them in purses and shoes and try to avoid wearing them even in accent tones up near my face!

The Living Coral can be downright 🍊, so unless I just happen to see something in watermelon 🍉 IRL, I will not be wearing that one either.

Here is an idea of wearing it as an accent that I’m thinking might be “doable:”

222F0D3C-48C7-4944-95A6-009B80A2B36C.png

Switch out the coral for blue; combine blue stripe shirt with possibly large dot scarf. Might work. Can’t find.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I never got into that color thing.  I suppose if I had a job on tv and I had to consider how I appeared on camera, it would mean something to me.  I don't.  So, I just wear the colors I like.  Whatever calls out to me.  I'm sure I do look better in some colors but not enough to change my life in any way.  Honestly, I don't why an adult woman would go against her own judgement and buy color she doesn't think will work for just because a man whose job is to sell stuff....says that the color works for everyone.  What else would he say.....LOL  He certainly isn't going say  "this looks best on women with fair skin"....LOL  But, that's what the 30 Day return policy is for.  

Honored Contributor

That Belle top is not really the color 'living coral'. The Sunrise Pink is much lighter than living coral. 

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

It is a cute top but that pink is tricky! I think it would look ideal on a dark complexion.

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

Many years ago there was a book called "Color Me Beautiful".  It still is in publication.  There were parties around that book and each person found out what season they were.  I found out I was an Autumn/Fall.  There were colors that applied to each season and mine fits to a tee! 

Occasionally I do purchase something in another color not on my chart and I can tell right away it is not for me.  As soon as I put something gray on, it does something to my skin tone and I do not look good.  I also do not look good in white, but I look good in off-white.  A lot of people do not look good in olive, but that is definitely my color!

I don't know if you ever heard of that theory or book, but it is very informative and you might want to give it a try.

Honored Contributor

@hellodali

Yes, a very popular book at one time.  I find it to be very accurate.  I'm a winter and look terrible in other colors. 

When I wore other colors, particularly brown and olive, some people asked me if I was feeling OK. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

That Belle top is not really the color 'living coral'. The Sunrise Pink is much lighter than living coral. 

Yes.  I'm not sure how Living Coral got into a discussion about a peachy/pink item.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I had the color me beautiful book. Now there are 16 color stories. I am a soft summer. Medium muted cool to neutral tones. 

Kerstin, who was selling the top, said the color was the color of the year. What was I thinking? I can't wear warm tones. Glad I was able to send it back for another color without charge. 

The color system really works. My whole wardrobe is only a few colors in my soft summer palette and I save a lot of money because everything goes with everything and it all flatters my skintone. 

We are all different.