Respected Contributor

Re: I now think twice before returning anything...

I think about shipping cost before buying, not after. Mostly, I try to avoid it.

Occasionally I will pay for shipping, but it has to be something really special.  

I never keep something I dislike or that doesn't fit. I think that's bad for my psyche!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi cookie...The last 2 items of clothing I ordered from Q went straight into the Goodwill bag.  I mentally recorded the loss as the cost of finally, finally, finally learning my lesson. 

BTW, the Antthony tank is pretty and, even tho a little big, can at least be worn under a jacket, so not a complete loss (?)...I think it's homegirl who had a thread recently about pairing a plaid shirt with a lacey tank to create a contrast, which is a good idea (I think) and one I intend to copy from the things I have in my closet.

Live and learn!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Just ship them back making your own label- package them together and it can't be more than a couple dollars for the package) and it can't be more that a couple dollars for the package. I never keep items that aren't a 'wow!' just because of return shipping costs. I never use the shopping channels' return  shipping label- it costs too much plus the delivery is so slow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ship things daily because I sell on eBay and there is nothing out there that costs a couple of dollars for a package.  If you want to ship First Class (approx $3.50 my discount and the lowest I've seen) but  the package has to weigh under 14 oz!  Priority is roughly $5.35 (my discount) for the padded envelope at any weight.  $4.95 (my discount) for the cardboard mailer, then we go up to the Small Flat Rate Box $5.35 and is about 5" x 10" x 2 1/2"..... and the Medium Flat Rate Box (around $11).  I realize that the cost to return on the Q is $6.95 but there isn't enough of a difference even at my PO discount to bother with it and without the discount the costs are even higher.  Also, if it isn't Priority (or it's over $50) you really should add in insurance.....

The P.O. has cleverly made it so that if you decide to send an item regular Mail, the item usually costs more than Priority mail....  Woman Indifferent

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u  I hear ya, but...

Isn't there a tipping point where you return enough for whatever reason and no matter if the shipping is good, awful or fair-to-middling it adds up.  Plus, for me, I don't need the frustration...I don't need to spend any more time researching the size (reviews, click here, forums, videos, etc.) to no avail...I don't need the annoyance of going to the P.O!!  There is literally not one thing here worth all that for me any more.  I might take a chance on an LDO item once or twice a year, but otherwise, I'm done.

Thx for listening...I feel better!!  LOL!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

I now think twice before ORDERING anything. So many online companies offer free shipping both ways. Yes, I know they build in cost of shipping in the price.

I ordered a Q- Oryany bag that I did return. I think it cost $20+ to take a look at it. $12-13 to ship and then my return. Neiman Marcus has lots of Oryany bags always on sale and free shipping both ways. I like JJill but rarely ever get deals on shipping or pricing. Nordstrom has free shipping both ways. Anyone looking at Vitamix or Kitchen Aid Mixers check out Williams Sonoma for again--free shipping.

Companies consider shipping and handling a revenue source not just the cost of doing business. Some chose to be competitive in s/h charges and some do not. 

I've always done that. Even without shipping costs, I HATE repacking and shipping things. It's extra time and a trip to the post office that I just don't need.