Honored Contributor

Re: I need to work on "Building a Wardrobe" instead of buying just pieces.

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

I fell for that 'build a wardrobe' line that I heard on QVC.   And indeed build is what I did. Building and building my credit card debt !  Until I finally came to my senses and now do my best to try to live by way of the recommendations mentioned in this thread.

Congratulations! Debt free is the only way to go. No credit card debt and have always been frugal. Early retirement keep my needs simple. Truly is the good life. Turning off shopping channels helps.
Respected Contributor

I totally appreciate what you are saying @Squirrel Lover.  Sometimes I am too busy looking for a good deal and don't think enough about complete outfits.  Now, when I see pants that have a matching jacket, I'll try to pick up both if it's in my budget.  

Typically, I am drawn to pants, skirts, dresses and jackets...I don't give nearly as much thought to tops.  I need to nvest in more interesting Ts, tops and blouses. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually don't buy anything that isn't classic or boho looking to wear with jeans or black slacks. I certainly don't need clothes, but I usually see something I can not live without. 

Esteemed Contributor

I almost never wear dresses -- one year I wore exactly 2 dresses, one for a wedding and one for a bridal shower so I don't need to dress up either. I got rid of a lot of dresses last year.

I wear plain or dark bottoms like skinny jeans or ponte pants and put the color in my tops which are mostly tunics. In the summer I wear capri jeans.

So my suggestion is to try on your clothes and take a picture or a selfie of yourself in the clothes and see if you like the clothes when you see them on yourself. You will be surprised that you may not like certain clothes when you see them in a digital photo. They may not fit well or pull across your body or look too small or too big. But don't be hard on yourself as well all have items in our closet that we wonder why we bought it in the first place. Also as our bodies change due to life or weight gain or loss your clothes may need to be reassessed as to fit. And if your lifestyle has changed, that's another reason to look at your wardrobe to see what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

Respected Contributor

Building wardrobes is great and I do that.  You do need to have items that go with other items so you always have the right thing to wear.    However, striving for a capsule wardrobe would never work for me.    To stick with a color palette, especially if it is black would bore me to tears, I would hate to get dressed in the morning.  I like all colors, brights, pastels, neutrals and patterns and variety in what I wear.  To wear the same limited colors everyday would not be something I could ever do.  To me the important thing is to have clothes that I like and that look right on me and to be sure I don't end up with items nothing goes with.  I guess I like getting dressed to be an adventure!

For those who have read others posts of mine you know I have a life long love of clothes and putting things together.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I so feel the same. If I could not have fun with my clothes and enjoy putting items together in new ways, life just would not be as much fun. I love color - many colors - and  choose my daily outfits according to how I want to look that day. I love fashion and dressing and have for all of my life. I am neither tall nor thin but love clothes and dressing just as much as when I was much thinner and younger. 

Honored Contributor

I know what I buy will go with what I have.  That's the beauty of staying in your color palette.

Related image

Valued Contributor

I am 61 and still working but wear jeans to work everyday.  That is my thinking now as well.  Buy what I need and if I need something special then have fun getting something from head to toe.

I am working on down sizing my closets contents.  Just donated  a bunch of dress pants I no longer need or wear.  

Honored Contributor

How does one build a wardrobe?