Honored Contributor

I was always feeling that way and I think it might have been generational:  "Oh, this is to die for, and I think I will just die if I don't get it..." A dark taupe silk organza gown with a dyed-to-match satin liner that had yards and yards of fabric, low cut with tucks at the breast and tucks around the bottom and at each gathered tuck, there was a rose made from the same fabric as the liner (taupe satin).  

Cowboy boots as a second-grader which I dreamed about and I asked Santa Claus for them.  Unfortunately, Santa could not find any my size so I got a pair of "majorette" boots and when I opened them Christmas morning, I was so disappointed but later came to love them.

A peacock blue gorgeous taffeta evening dress with layers and layers of taffeta made to look like a southern bell ballgown.  

A red velvet cocktail dress for my 16th year Christmas. A drop waist and off-the-shoulder.

A pinafore as a child of navy blue and pink made of silk organza.

I got all of them.  My grandmother or mother made all of them.  I hope they know how much I loved them and how much I love them until this day for all they did for me.

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell 

Oh, I well remember those white go-go boots!  I wanted them so bad --- I never got them though.  I used to watch all the teen dancing shows and the girls were all wearing them.  I told my Mom I really, really wanted them.  She said, we can't afford them and they'll go out of style in a minute and then you won't want to wear them any more.  A girl in my class had them and I was so jealous!  I kept saying to myself --- I would look better in them!  LOL!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@ninjawife 

white go-go boots! As a lil kid in the late 60s - early 70s I too adored them.  I still like white sleek boots/booties to this very day but haven't seen a pair quite worth purchasing.  I laughed and said aloud YES, ME TOO when I read your reply.  Thanks for the smile.  

Honored Contributor

Mine was a 1970's maxi coat, with huge lapels, made with a herringbone wool blend fabric with bright red lining. It was a Jack Winter brand coat and I had to have it. I was in high school at the time, working part-time so I saved my money and bought it. 

Then one day my high school BF came riding up on his dirt bike and asked if I wanted a ride back to my house from the bus stop. I was wearing the maxi coat and I got on the back of his motorcycle. It was only a few blocks from the bus stop to my house. I got home and the first thing my mom asked was: "What happened to your coat??!!" I had no idea that the back lower half of the coat was gone! It got chewed off in the rear wheel of the dirt bike! I was lucky it didn't drag me off the bike but I hung on to him and thought nothing of it...LOL!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

A pair of platform shoes.  they were navy suede platform mules. the heels were 4" and platform was really thick. just like my fave rock stars would wear...

i HAD to have them.  i was in 10th grade and i went school and due to the HS floors being all buffed and waxed and i couldn't walk in them - i had to sort of inch along.  in the caf there was a male teacher standing around as a lunchroom monitor. he sort of smirked as i hobbled by, vise-gripping my lunch tray.  

Valued Contributor

My can't live without things from the past were a sweater, or actually 6 sweaters. One was a pale blue cardigan with floral appliques and little seed pearls. How I loved that sweater, and I continued wearing, or trying to wear it for another year after I could barely get my arms into the sleeves. My mother finally put her foot down but kindly let me keep it in a nice box from Lipman's so I could look at it now and then.

The other was from a starting "Junior High" shopping trip to White Stag in Portland. My wardrobe theme was sweaters and pleated skirts and I found a perfect, couldn't live without pullover of an unusual knit stitch with a small round collar. But what color? It came in navy, dk green, red, yellow, and ivory. Long story short, I ended up with all 5 and my mom said there would be no more new sweaters that year so I better like them a lot.

Decades passed and I don't remember most of my individual clothing items but those sweaters, I can still see them in my mind.

Respected Contributor
What precious memories! When I started this thread I sent a messsge to heaven expressing my love for my family! I’m sure your family got the same message from you!
Respected Contributor
I’m loving reading these stories! Have a great day friends and thanks for sharing everyone!!
Honored Contributor

Mine was a camel hair coat, what a weird thing to make things out of, or was it just a nickname?  It was a whopping $40.00 some 60 years ago, it sure was a sacrifice for them when I look back on this.