Contributor

Re: I need fashion advice please. What to wear to a Sept. 14th wedding on Long Island NY?

Fox Hollow is pretty nice. I went to an afternoon wedding and reception there about 7-8 years ago. I wore a nice black long skirt, a gold sweater and heels. Most of the ladies wore dresses, in either long or tea length. The men were in suits. It was October. No one was in evening attire.

Honored Contributor

Re: I need fashion advice please. What to wear to a Sept. 14th wedding on Long Island NY?

I've been there for a winter wedding (big snowstorm the next day!). I'd say it's pretty formal.

Nice large room for the reception with a sweet little upper separate room for the bride and her girls to check makeup and get out of the fray of the crowd. Had a little terrace to that so you could step outside and get some fresh air.

ETA: I didn't read initially that it was at noontime.

Contributor

Black is fine...in fact most guests will wear black. A pair of dressy pants and a nice top, a cocktail or maxi dress will be fine. Are you sure it is in the lobby, not in the catering hall attached. If they are having a cocktail hour, then a reception it probably is and it will be more formal. The Fox Hollow does nice weddings. I have been to quite a few there.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 k9buddy said: Matelassé Dress The formal venue and invitations tell me that while a long dress wouldn't be appropriate, cocktail is definitely the way to go. Talbots has some very nice choices. I particularly like the metelasse dress.
ITA agree. Talbots is having a 30% off everything sale right now. I would definitely look,at the metelasse dress. Comes in several,colors. Perfect for a occasion like this. I think cocktail attire before 5 PM is too dressy.
Trusted Contributor

I love the Chardonnay color with a neutral shoe. Very elegant. I am of the opinion as well that cocktail attire would be perfectly acceptable in view of the venue as well as the formal invitations.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 KathyPet said:
On 6/17/2014 k9buddy said: Matelassé Dress The formal venue and invitations tell me that while a long dress wouldn't be appropriate, cocktail is definitely the way to go. Talbots has some very nice choices. I particularly like the metelasse dress.
ITA agree. Talbots is having a 30% off everything sale right now. I would definitely look,at the metelasse dress. Comes in several,colors. Perfect for a occasion like this. I think cocktail attire before 5 PM is too dressy.

That dress has my name on it! In Chardonnay, please!

dperry--that would be a perfect dress for a daytime wedding.

Super Contributor

Since the wedding is at noon and the reception is in the afternoon, I would choose a fantastically nice cocktail dress. Not a lot of sequins or anything like that, but something that's flattering and fits really well. Pretty shoes; you can get away with sandals in Sept in NY.

It's definitely too early in the day to wear a full-length dress unless the dress was more casual, which doesn't seem appropriate for that venue. I'm from the Northeast and have been to lots of weddings--time of day really drives what's considered appropriate wedding attire.

Super Contributor

Smiley Happy

I didn't see your response before responding, but totally in agreement. That's way too early in the day for a long dress. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

A222259 is lovely, & a LTS!
Esteemed Contributor

I just went to the Talbot site to see that dress.....its beautiful...would be a lovely dress for an afternoon wedding.....and you could use it for many other occasions...