Super Contributor

I have been interested in the Logo tops, but didnt want to pay so much for something I could make for $10. I had a pattern McCalls 354, classic Logo style. I wanted nice fabric so I ordered it. It is a certain kind of knit, which is loose and thin. So I finally made it up this week. I thought I could make it up in a day because there are few seams, but the fabric was not easy to work with. Think opposite of double knit! It just was soft and puddlely. So it was slow go. I did it all on a serger. It would have been really hard on a regular sewing machine. Too loose. I am happy with the results. It is a different look. I tried it on alone, but then with a tank underneath. It really looked better with the layering of a tank. It is soft and drapey and is flattering. I am assuming Lori's things look this way, but making my own was worth the effort and savings.

Super Contributor
I did too....I took a black garbage bag....cut a hole for my head....two holes for my arms....there ya go!
Super Contributor
On 7/12/2014 gazelle77 said: I did too....I took a black garbage bag....cut a hole for my head....two holes for my arms....there ya go!
What an unkind thing to say to someone who obviously likes Logo and took the time to find and pass along a solution to the expense. You owe the OP an apology. Further, I have seen SO many Logo-type tops out at retail lately, so whether or not you like them, they're in style. I say way to go, OP!!
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/12/2014 TheKateMeister said:
On 7/12/2014 gazelle77 said: I did too....I took a black garbage bag....cut a hole for my head....two holes for my arms....there ya go!
What an unkind thing to say to someone who obviously likes Logo and took the time to find and pass along a solution to the expense. You owe the OP an apology. Further, I have seen SO many Logo-type tops out at retail lately, so whether or not you like them, they're in style. I say way to go, OP!!

I second that! A long time ago I made almost everything I wore--jackets, dresses, pants, blouses, I could make just about anything cheaper and just as good or better than what I could buy. But that really was a long time ago. Now I just alter things when I need to, but I know what it takes to make a garment.

Luvingit, you should be proud of yourself! Apparently some people have no appreciation for the skill and time it takes to do what you did. I don't care for the Logo look for myself, but people don't have to be so unkind just because they disagree. I certainly applaud you for making your own!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Good for you! Just a week or so ago (maybe more).......I mentioned in a post that I wish I could/would become motivated to sew some of those styles.........LOGO styles, also dolman sleeved tops, etc. I used to sew most of my clothes many, many years ago, when I was much younger and had more ambition. (And fabric was very inexpensive, relatively speaking.) My best friend and I were always shopping in fabric shops, sewing 'this and that' for various school events, Summer office work, etc. etc. Also, silky smooth tank/cami-slips, too. I keep walking by my sewing machine on a shelf in my garage, and usually say "Maybe one day soon"........... p.s. I still occasionally dream about sewing a zipper into a skirt or dress....lol..........{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Wow good for you! I wish I could sew like that! That is a nice talent to have--plus you saved so much money! I took a sewing class so that I could learn the basics and all I could manage was a pillow

Respected Contributor

I'm very happy for you!! I am not sure what that mean post was about but ignore it. Some people just have a mean spirit. In the end, they suffer the most.

~Live with Intention~
Super Contributor

Congrats! Knits are a real pain to work with ... I don't even like hemming ready-made.

Super Contributor

gazelle - I'm not going to quote your post - don't want to repeat such nastiness. How shameful. Why such a hateful post about OP's skills and creativity?

Luvingit, as a seamstress myself, I am very impressed with your skills - sewing a loose knit is, like you said, difficult at best, and when done with seams on the bias or curved, even harder. Good for you!!

Contributor
That's amazing!! I too like the logo look, but not always the price. The tops seem fairly complicated to make, not just a simple t-shirt with a straight hem. Congrats! I imagine it feels worth the time and effort.