Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure no one here does this, but...

I have to ask.

I just flipped through My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and Whitney's mom showed up to the pool to do water aerobics wearing PANTYHOSE under her one piece bathing suit.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm pretty sure no one here does this, but...

Uh, no.  I wonder why she'd do that????

Honored Contributor

I am not familiar with the show (no cable here) but I wonder when the mom might have been born.  The reason I say this is that I was watching a cult classic last night ' Fright Night" and saw a prostitute show up at Jerry Dandridge's house in a mini dress, high heeled sandals and she was wearing stockings.  That movie was released I think in 1985.  I also think Wonder Woman wore stockings.  I seem to remember older TV shows - circa Charles Angels time when girls wore shorts with stockings.

Perhaps wearing stockings makes this lady feel more comfortable about her skin texture in a bathing suit.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I am not familiar with the show (no cable here) but I wonder when the mom might have been born.  

Perhaps wearing stockings makes this lady feel more comfortable about her skin texture in a bathing suit.

@Bird mama

I'm guessing that she's in her 60s. 

Um, the control top part was sticking out about three inches beyond the leg opening. 

Esteemed Contributor

This has become my new favorite reality show.  I really like Whitney. Woman Very Happy  I saw that episode last week and had to laugh when her mom did that.  I come from a time when we always wore stockings with dresses and short skirts, but i never saw anyone wear them with shorts or a bathing suit!  Birdmama hit the nail on the head when she said that it made the mom feel more comfortable about her skin texture.  I believe the mom said something to that effect when she was talking to Whitney about it.  Awww, bless her heart.  

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

I am not familiar with the show (no cable here) but I wonder when the mom might have been born.  

@Bird mama

I'm guessing that she's in her 60s. 

Um, the control top part was sticking out about three inches beyond the leg opening. 

Awww, as my dead mother would say, she is to be pitied :-(

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I just saw this, too. Gotta believe it is a put-on for the show.  If she did not have the panty part showing on her thighs, I might think she is just weird about bare legs, but the panty part makes it a gag.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I have to ask.

I just flipped through My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and Whitney's mom showed up to the pool to do water aerobics wearing PANTYHOSE under her one piece bathing suit.

this made me laugh out loud. and i mean loud!

Valued Contributor

I have seen older ladies wearing pantyhose under shorts.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

I have to ask.

this made me laugh out loud. and i mean loud!

I can imagine how ridiculous that looked! Yet if a celebrity like Lady Gaga or Kim Kardashian wore that, it would become an instant fashion fad.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~