Honored Contributor

Re: I'm obsessive about scarves!

Scarves can be attractive if the wearer knows what they are doing. Nothing worse than a woman of a certain age dressed in layers wearing a scarf that has nothing to do with her outfit...then she layers a lot of jewelry with it?😳

A scarf can be practical or the focal point of an outfit but I have often seen women layer their clothing and plop a mismatched scarf over it, thinking more is better. 

On occasion I see a woman wear a scarf that ties in with her outfit following Coco Chanel's sage advice "Less is more." However, some need to tone it down and stop wearing scarves with excessive jewelry and layers of other accessories. A beautiful scarf should be enough to stand on its own. Once I wear a scarf, I tone down the rest of my accessories....

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA That's a pretty scarf!   I love them too - have a nice collection for all seasons.  I have some pretty floral chiffon ones that I bought at Christopher & Banks a few years ago.  They are perfect with a spring tshirt or sweater.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11, Did you ever see the movie "Summertime" with Katherine Hepburn in Venice. I loved the way she wore her scarves. This was my favorite look. She is in a strapless black dress with a sweetheart neckline and wears a chiffon scarf woven through her pearls. Sometimes more is more.Woman Very HappyHeart Oh my I need to watch that movie again.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/F6HB81/1955-film-title-summertime-director-david-lean-studio-ua-pictured-F6HB81.jpg

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Trinity11, Did you ever see the movie "Summertime" with Katherine Hepburn in Venice. I loved the way she wore her scarves. This was my favorite look. She is in a strapless black dress with a sweetheart neckline and wears a chiffon scarf woven through her pearls. Sometimes more is more.Woman Very HappyHeart Oh my I need to watch that movie again.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/F6HB81/1955-film-title-summertime-director-david-lean-studio-ua-pictured-F6HB81.jpg

Yes but that is formal wear @tiny 2 . It isn't the average woman in 2022 going to the mall or supermarket.😁

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All my adult life, when I bought new clothes (dress / suit / coat)  I always bought a scarf to go with them.

Now retired - still buying and making and wearing scarves.  There are fantastic silk blend yarns that make fabulous scarves.

This DB scarf will go perfectly with jacket that I'm currently crocheting.

------------------------------------------

ETA:  I think in my situation ....  it's lifestyle thing.  I'm "out" quite a bit.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually buy at least one new scarf a year ... haven't purchased one yet this year. I think I need a scarf w/ lavendar and maybe one in a periwinkle color. Haven't stumbled upon them yet ... but I'm sure I will.

I wear scarves most of the year as accents around my neck, usually tucked into the blouse/top I have on. I typically buy oblong scarves but sometimes I buy bigger scarves. They need to be soft to go around my neck.

I don't wear many scarves that drape over my body, except in winter when wearing for warmth vs for a color accent at my neckline. If I'm wearing a scarf at my neck, I usually keep my jewelry to earrings, bracelet and maybe a big ring. Smiley Happy 

scarves.PNG

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

Yes but that is formal wear @tiny 2 . It isn't the average woman in 2022 going to the mall or supermarket.😁

@Trinity11, This a dinner date and I think it may be where she finds out he is married and even though she can have him she does the right thing and walks away. Heavy sigh, so sad for her.

Respected Contributor

I love scarves and have tons of them.  I wear them them all fall and winter, and love all of them.   Usually like Jackie has them on from Isaac's line.  Just around the neck to bring some color to my face.  

I am and old lady and proud, so if wearing a scarf is for old ladies, I'm OK with that.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Valued Contributor

@Trinity11  I absolutely agree with you. 10 years or so ago,all my friends started giving me scarves for gifts. I was excited at first but soon discovered they clashed with my jewelry. I would much rather let my clothes and jewelry be my fashion statement than a scarf.I guess I'm just not fashion savvy enough how to put it all together. Plus,I have long hair and busty so I didn't like the lookJust too much.I kept one scarf that a friend made.And one for cold weather if needed.

Honored Contributor

No scarves for me.  I can't stand the feel of them around my neck and I was always worried about how they looked, were they in place, etc.

I'm a simple person I guess!  Woman Very Happy  In more ways than one?  Woman Embarassed

I think they can be attractive, but not for me.