Trusted Contributor

I 'm going to Anchorage Alaska in July. What clothes to pack?

Is anyone here from Alaska? I will be in Anchorage for a month plus a weekend in a lodge in Denali. I see on the weather channel that the temperature is usually in the mid-sixties for the day and the fifties at night. I plan on taking hiking clothes and boots and such plus a few smart wool tops for evenings, but I can't imagine that I will need white capris, skirts, sun dresses, ect. If you can please advise me on what weight of clothing that I will need. 

I also plan on bringing a fleece with a columbian rain jacket do I need a heavier jacket? Should I bring my Teva sandles? My husband and I will not be attending any fancy dinners or such. He is on a business trip and I am accompanying him. Thans in advance.

New Contributor

Re: I 'm going to Anchorage Alaska in July. What clothes to pack?

Lucky you!!! I visited Alaska in July of 2010.  Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!  When I was there is happened to rain, that misty, light rain, for 9 out of the 14 days.  It did not prevent us from doing things.  We had lightweight rain gear which worked fine because it helped keep us warm with the fleece.  Fleece is a MUST!!  I brought shorts but never work them, capri's were warn maybe once.  We did have those pants that have the zippers where you can make them pants or shorts.  Perfect to take.  Long sleeve t's are a must.  We never needed our heavier coats.   I remember seeing a lot of people with pants and flip flops.  I'm a flip flop girl so I wore mine. Anything goes there.  It's a rugged country.  Hiking shoes for sure, socks for sure and you can wear socks with your TEVA's.  Basically think early spring and late fall.  Somewhat warm days and cooler nights.  But definitely take the fleece!!! I hope this help.  Enjoy your trip.  Denali is absolutely breath taking. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much what you said is exactly what I thought! I really appreciate your response!

Honored Contributor

She has roots in Alaska and would be able to guide your fashion choices.

@traveler 

Honored Contributor

I was in Anchorage the first 2 weeks of August and it was very warm. There was no AC in the hotel, one of the city's nicest, and we nearly roasted. When we opened the window we got noise from the bar across the street. It wasn't a pleasant stay.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Lots of wildfires this year so be aware of having flexible plans.  So far this year we have had days in record setting 80s and days of rain in the 60s.  Glaciers are melting.  Look up news and weather at ktuu.com

In Anchorage I see shorts, flip flops but I usually wear a light sweater.

Respected Contributor

Anchorage is celebrating it's centennial this year. 

I suggest watching local TV like www.ktuu.com or www.ktva.com to see the local weather.  Newspaper is www.adn.com

Not much dark this time of year, some people have trouble sleeping in the light.

Esteemed Contributor

Anchorage is such a beautiful place, as is Denali. You can look up average temperatures for both AM and PM on the Internet. Casual clothing, dressing in layers, comfy shoes, and you'll be set to have a great time. We enjoyed the many hours of light. We did go to a "mush camp," and it was such fun. You can go on a sled ride without snow, as they put wheels on the sleds. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!