Honored Contributor

Re: I'm feeling a bit out of touch ....

@mcducky If this is all you are feeling out of touch about, you are in really good shape these days!  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Hi mcducky. My advice to you is go to your favorite department store & try on leggings, jeggings, skinny's etc. I too get a lil confused on what is what!! Then, every company makes different sizes,types etc!!! I found by the time I left a store, I was going nuts. Trying to figure out what was what. So, I said screw it!!! I started buying what I liked & looked good in.

And try on some things you might never even consider!!! You will really suprise yourself. Step out of your comfort zone. (no one will ever know but you how you look) And if you don't like it, put it back on the hanger, if ya like it, buy it!!! And don't forget if you order from QVC, you can return til Jan.

Take 1 day & go shopping!!!! Leave w/a positive attitude too!!! And have fun,lady!!!

Let me know how it goes!!!!

Super Contributor

I just retired on October 31st ....going from business clothes to non-business is the trick.

Respected Contributor

I totally disagree about not wearing more form fitting pants if you are overweight.  No matter the size, you still need to wear a tunic length top for proper coverage, but I think everyone looks just fine.  I also think some who carry a few extra pounds look slimmer.  Just my opinion, but we all need to wear what flatters, and not what is being pushed as the latest style.   

Esteemed Contributor

@mcducky wrote:

I just retired on October 31st ....going from business clothes to non-business is the trick.

Congratulations!!  It's a good time in life,enjoy it. I am.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@mcducky wrote:

What is the difference between, leggings, jeggings, skinny's etc.?  I want to dive in to the trend but am overweight and don't want to look like my pants are just to small.  Thanks for your feedback.

IMO - these are not the best look for someone who is overweight.

IMO ...YES you can wear them!  It is a good look at any size. Don't let anyone tell you cannot wear jeggings or skinny jeans. Be careful though...I think some leggings maybe too thin and look too much like tights.

My favorite jeggings are from Diane Gilman DG2 superstretch comfort waist at HSN. They are sold S, M, L, XL, 1X, 2X and 3X sizes in 3 lengths ((regular, petite and tall.) I would recommend sizing down 1 size from B&M store sizes.  The material is substantial has stretch and has a very comfortable waist. They look fabulous with a longer sweaters, cardigans and awesome when worn with booties or boots.  (Dg2 makes skinny jeans too... I also size down 1 size one the jeans too.)

Give jeggings or skinny jeans a try... I think you will like the look for Fall and Winter. Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Bestdressed wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@mcducky wrote:

What is the difference between, leggings, jeggings, skinny's etc.?  I want to dive in to the trend but am overweight and don't want to look like my pants are just to small.  Thanks for your feedback.

IMO ...YES you can wear them!  It is a good look at any size. Don't let anyone tell you cannot wear jeggings or skinny jeans. Be careful though...I think some leggings maybe too thin and look too much like tights.

My favorite jeggings are from Diane Gilman DG2 superstretch comfort waist at HSN. They are sold S, M, L, XL, 1X, 2X and 3X sizes in 3 lengths ((regular, petite and tall.) I would recommend sizing down 1 size from B&M store sizes.  The material is substantial has stretch and has a very comfortable waist. They look fabulous with a longer sweaters, cardigans and awesome when worn with booties or boots.  (Dg2 makes skinny jeans too... I also size down 1 size one the jeans too.)

Give jeggings or skinny jeans a try... I think you will like the look for Fall and Winter. Heart

Oh I couldn't agree more!  I could never wear jeans until Diane Gilman made her classic jeans.  Since then, I haven't found a style, Jegging, skinny jean, leggin, comfort waist, bootcut..... that I havent absolutely LOVED!

Diane's trousers/jeans are made for a different body type than the Q's brands are.  They fit women who have a prominent stomach. or lage hips and thighs or athletic builds, all of the body types ignored by most designers.  she aims her collection at baby boomers and the rest of us who have experienced life, gravity, surgery, childbirth etc etc.  

Remember when Liz Claibourne said she didn't make clothing to fit African Americans?  I am still shell shocked from that callous comment that was virtually ingnored by the fashion world.  Apparently they know what the African American body type is.  I don't ,  we come in all sizes and shapes like everybody else but the industry does stereotype their customer base.  So it isn't unusual that Diane G. aims at a particular clientelle it's just refreshing that she includes people like me who need to breath, cover the plumbr's behind, and sit down without choking to death.  QVC fits a woman with smaller waist compared to bottom and ALL of their standard bottoms sag and bag on my body type.  Most look like mutant oddly gathered skirts .  

I hate the skirted leggings on everyone I've seen wear them.  They can't see that they ride up in back and accntuate backside, give a pouch even to a flat stomach and bulge over the hips especially the ones with pockets.  The hosts who swear most vehemently by them look deformed in them IMHO.

I love DG2 EVERYTHING, own dozens of pairs in every style and couldn't be happier!

OP you can wear anything that suits your fancy.  We've let other people's opinions of what we "should wear" rule our lives for too long.  I choose to cover the stomach and derriere because I don't like mine but you may have gorgeous, nontraditional, ample thighs and Reubenesque figure that are sheer artistry.  You decide.   

Respected Contributor

@CoG wrote:

@Bestdressed wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@mcducky wrote:

Remember when Liz Claibourne said she didn't make clothing to fit African Americans?  I am still shell shocked from that callous comment that was virtually ingnored by the fashion world.  Apparently they know what the African American body type is.  I don't ,  we come in all sizes and shapes like everybody else but the industry does stereotype their customer base.  So it isn't unusual that Diane G. aims at a particular clientelle it's just refreshing that she includes people like me who need to breath, cover the plumbr's behind, and sit down without choking to death.  QVC fits a woman with smaller waist compared to bottom and ALL of their standard bottoms sag and bag on my body type.  Most look like mutant oddly gathered skirts .  

I believe this is an unfounded rumor:

http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/claiborne.asp