Super Contributor

I'm feeling a bit out of touch ....

What is the difference between, leggings, jeggings, skinny's etc.?  I want to dive in to the trend but am overweight and don't want to look like my pants are just to small.  Thanks for your feedback.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm feeling a bit out of touch ....

@mcducky

I am not sure if I have all these right, and maybe one of our true fashion experts will come on and post!

Leggings, I believe, are simply stretchy, very form fitting and straight leg pull on pants.  Generally worn with a longer top.  

Jeggings are meant to look like jeans and are of a jean type material, very stretchy, but the same style.

Skinny -- more substance - a heavier, nicer material and slightly more dresser.  Not quite as form fitting.  

This might not be as accurate, so anynone, please feel free to jump in and correct me!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I don't get caught up in semantics. If I see something I like, I'll try it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wear skirted leggings. Love the convenience of just pulling on one piece of closing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mcducky wrote:

What is the difference between, leggings, jeggings, skinny's etc.?  I want to dive in to the trend but am overweight and don't want to look like my pants are just to small.  Thanks for your feedback.

If you carry a few extra pounds you might want to try the skirted leggings (as someone mentioned) made by Legacy.  There are a couple of styles, but I'd go with the longer skirt.

If you want to give Jeggings a try, Denim & Co. makes some that are fairly forgiving, and not as snug as other brands.  The key is to wear them with a long top; not a top that merely covers the caboose.  Choose a top that goes nearly to the knees.  I think anyone can wear leggings or jeggings (and even skinny jeans) if the top is long enough.

Editing:  I think if heavy legs are your issue, the legging/jegging/skinny jeans thing might not be your best option.

Respected Contributor

I recommend starting with a pair of Quacker Factory Dream Jeannes leggings.  My legs are heavier and I find that these look the best on me (with a longer top, of course).  The fabric is very comfortable and doesn't show the imperfections.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@mcducky

I am not sure if I have all these right, and maybe one of our true fashion experts will come on and post!

Leggings, I believe, are simply stretchy, very form fitting and straight leg pull on pants.  Generally worn with a longer top.  

Jeggings are meant to look like jeans and are of a jean type material, very stretchy, but the same style.

Skinny -- more substance - a heavier, nicer material and slightly more dresser.  Not quite as form fitting.  

This might not be as accurate, so anynone, please feel free to jump in and correct me!!! 

well done!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@mcducky wrote:

IMO - these are not the best look for someone who is overweight.

Trusted Contributor

All of these styles are available in B & M stores. Why don't you try the different styles on to see which seem to look best on you and which you feel the most comfortable in. Then you can decide which of the ones mentioned here you might want to try.

Melissa McCarthy wears leggings, with a very long top, and looks great.

Saw an older woman yesterday in leggings with a short top which was extremely unflattering and she was small. I felt bad for her but I'm sure she felt great.

Honored Contributor

I would just try everything on and see what you like and try them on with various tops.

I don't wear leggings because I don't like them on me.  I also watch the length of my tops because I'm only 5'4" and a top that is too long just makes me look shorter and wider.  I don't wear tops that come much past my hips. 

Someone mentioned Melissa McCarthy looking good in skinny jeans with a long flowy top but I disagree.  I think she's too short for most of those tops she wears and they just overwhelm her and make her look bigger. 

There are so many differences of opinion, you just have to find what you like on yourself and what you are comfortable wearing and not worry about what anyone else thinks.