Valued Contributor

I am also a fat lady,  a 1x in expensive and 2x in cheaper and sometimes a 3x in some brick and mortar stores.  IMO, the reason us fluffier women have a harder time is because the fit models are large, not fat.  The fit models are usually tall and toned.  I consider dark-haired Maria large, not fat.  She has long, nicely shaped legs and no visible lumps or bumps anywhere.  I've been told I wear my clothes too big, but I'm very aware of bra lines and dimply thighs.  I wear stripes, but usually underneath a cardigan.  It's my fault I look like this, but a good designer with quality fabrics is a fat girl's bf.  I avoid this current look with the clingy, overly spandexed materials,  No skinny anything on this body.  And I know this is going to rub the really thin ladies wrong, but a size xxxxs "designer" really can't relate to a fat girl's body.  LR and Giuliana Rancic, just to name 2, are very tiny and can wear anything, but I also don't consider most of these celebrities to be designers in the same way I consider Louis Dell'Olio, Bob Mackie, Halston, etc.  I recently saw Marla Wynne on the other station and was really impressed with her clothes.  I might give her line a shot.  

Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008: I agree what you said about stripes. I avoided them even though I'm a 6-8. At the beauty shop one day one of the hairdressers who I'm guessing is about a 3x but I'm really bad at guessing. Anyway, she had on a blue and white striped t shirt one day and it looked great on her. It fit her well and didn't pull any where but also wasn't oversized. After seeing her look so pretty in it I haven't been afraid of stripes.

I have several striped tops now. 

Trusted Contributor

We regularly hear designers tell us that they use fit models for each size.  The final product shows us that is not true.    Proportion, proportion, proportion.  Many have asked that they have "average size" models.   Last I read for 2016 the average woman in America wears a 16-18 and is 5' 4.5"   The models who wear those sizes are 5' 9"+.   They are 4.5" taller than many of us.    

Items that the tall plus models wear many times do not look good on me.   Tunics, dresses, pants, etc are all to long and need to be tailored.  I can not wear petites as is often suggested.  We all know the discomfort that comes with the rise of a pant that is to short.  

As consumers we are not as ignorant of proper fit and styles as some designers think we are.  I buy and wear what works for me and am not influenced by the dictates of "fashion".   My purchases have declined thus so have my returns.  I am glad I can still count on the fit and guality of the items I purchase from a few designers on line.  

Trusted Contributor

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone!!  Heart

I laughed & smiled as I read so many of your posts.  I appreciate all the positive vibes and uplifting messages!  

I have no problem with calling myself fat.  I'm almost 70, and have been a "big girl" my entire life.  I'm tall and was always considered "big boned!"  I've been up and down the scale, but always have been fat.  Years ago I decided to embrace the term, and I don't feel I'm putting myself down by calling myself what I am. Woman LOL

I love stripes!  What got my dander up was I found a really pretty blouse on a plus size website where I frequently shop.  It looked lovely and would have been just perfect if it didn't have a big solid band of a different color at the bottom.  

I just went nuts in my head and had to wonder WHO thought that would be a flattering look  -  to have a big circle around my hips to basically have a flashing arrow pointing out how big I am in that area...LOL.  I mean this is a company that has been manufacturing and selling quality clothes to large women for decades!  I have contacted them a number of times over the years to offer suggestions on their clothing designs, but still they carry nice tops with big, bold bands/stripes around them.

I once bought a pretty top from them that did have a border band at the bottom, but since the blouse was longer than I would have preferred, I bought it and took it to a seamstress who removed the band and re-hemmed the blouse.

From my years of experience shopping for comfortable, attractive and quality clothing I do understand how so many manufacturers just up the size to "fit" fat girls.  Very little thinking or planning goes into adjusting the overall pattern to fit us where it counts.  

Thanks again for all your helpful, thoughtful and uplifting comments....made my morning for sure!! Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I bought this from Kohl's. It is Petite Chaps Striped Crewneck Tee . This is an example of what can be done with stripes. 

Petite Chaps Striped Crewneck Tee

Honored Contributor

I grew up with a mother who had been thin, had 9 children and then got heavy.  I'd never call anyone "fat".  

I know how she strugged with her weight.  I took after my dad's side of the family and they, overall, were slender.  A lot of it is in the genetics.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm a woman of size...

[ Edited ]

That is really cute, but again the horizontal stripes across the midsection -- and I bet the back is all horizontal stripes too.  (Most I have seen are designed that way.)

ooops!  I thought I had quoted elated's post up above.  My post is in response.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@madzonie wrote:

...or otherwise known as fat.  

Rant: I'm constantly amazed at how often pretty clothes (especially blouses/shirts) have horizontal lines or patterns right around the hips or the stomach area!  I don't need any MORE attention brought to my "round" figure!  Woman Mad

I just don't understand why designers...especially those who are geared toward the plus sizes...would put big lines or stripes or definite areas of contrasting patterns around the middle of the piece of clothing.  Rant over. 

I've noticed that too. When I was pregnant, I looked in plus size catalogs hoping to get some larger clothes that didn't look maternity. And I couldn't understand why all the models were like A size 4!  How are you supposed to visualize what the clothes will look like on a larger figure?

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

And then if you are a stick, you end up looking like a Light House:

Light House.jpgI don't think she looks like a lighthouse. I think she looks great in the dress, which I really like.

But, no, not a style many could pull off.  

Respected Contributor
Plus size catalogs for the most part won't use actual big models. They claim sales go down when they use them.

As for stripes, I can take them or leave them. I generally don't wear them, they're not a favorite. And I wear a 3X. Plus size fashion is two years behind regular fashion, I read that in an article, so that's usually why we still deal with trends that have moved on.