Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm a woman of size...

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

And then if you are a stick, you end up looking like a Light House:

Light House.jpg

I don't even think that this dress flatters Debra Messing. The horizontally cut strapless dress with spaghetti strings for straps added on does nothing to hold up her chest area. The girls are sagging and the dress looks like she could have a wardrobe malfunction. It looks like she needs to yank the top upwards.

Honored Contributor

@madzonie OMG you are so funny, I laughed out loud when I started reading your post. I agree with you about the stripes, I'm not a large size, but I'm not thin and I don't like all the stripes and mad prints the Q shoves down our throats.CG and Gary know the customers do not like all the stripes so maybe next season we'll see something else.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

And then if you are a stick, you end up looking like a Light House:

Light House.jpg

She must be incarcerated in a very high class prison. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Are you saying that every single plus size top sold anywhere in the world has stripes across the mid section?   That really is not true.  I suggest that you buy tops that don't have those types of stripes....

Esteemed Contributor

Image result for Liz Lange HSN miter striped tunic top

Liz Lange miter stripe dress

Image result for Liz Lange HSN miter striped tunic top

Liz Lange miter stripe tunic top.

I used to own the long sleeve white and navy blue miter stripe tunic top similar to the above garment. Too bad that the fabric wasn't better -- it was a rayon knit that pilled. The neckline invisible hem wasn't sewn well either and I had to fix it but at least the stripes did all match at the seams. The chevron miter stripe like these examples would be the only stripes that I would consider wearing.

Honored Contributor

Stick to mostly solid colors.  Too many garments with stripes and large patterns make a woman look even larger.

Respected Contributor

Wait a minute...not cool..why would you call that pic a "stick"...first of all she is not a stick..she is a lady.

Nobody would like if they posted a plus side lady and said if you're a "house.." then you look like this..

NOT COOL regardless. Double standards and all.

I happen to think the lady in the white/black stripes looks very nice and hardly a 'stick...'

Geesh ladies. Shaking my head.

Esteemed Contributor

I think once you get it in your head that you are fat it is self-defeating. Our society has discriminated against people that are overweight and it will not change until we recognize we are individuals. I really hate the term fat and wish it would be obliterated from our language. You are what you think you are. Please erase this terms from defining one's self. You could use robust. That would better describe your attributes.

Respected Contributor

@madzonie wrote:

...or otherwise known as fat.  

Rant: I'm constantly amazed at how often pretty clothes (especially blouses/shirts) have horizontal lines or patterns right around the hips or the stomach area!  I don't need any MORE attention brought to my "round" figure!  Woman Mad

I just don't understand why designers...especially those who are geared toward the plus sizes...would put big lines or stripes or definite areas of contrasting patterns around the middle of the piece of clothing.  Rant over. 

Roaman's, an online clothing vendor, caters to plus-sized women. They've carried a shirt/blouse style for several years that's done in vertical stripes. I think it's called the Kate or Katelyn, or both. One has gathers as the shoulder line, the other style is a plain shirtfront. They sometimes mix it up with other patterns, but I've never seen a horizontal stripe. It's a cotton-heavy/poly blend, no iron, well priced. Not dressy, but very practical for everyday life.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I bought this from Kohl's. It is Petite Chaps Striped Crewneck Tee . This is an example of what can be done with stripes. 

Petite Chaps Striped Crewneck Tee

I like this and I have something similar.

Just like with every other design detail it depends on more than a single factor to flatter or not!

I was wearing a horizontally striped, long sleeved, v-neck t shirt when I first looked at this thread yesterday! As a slender hourglass things CAN go horrible wrong but this wasn't it...