Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Trying To Figure This Out....

If I order an item I try it on and if I like it I wash it before I wear it.  If it does not wash well - shrinks, stretched out, etc.  I return it.  That is the one advantage to QVC is that you can do that.  Most other retailers do not let you do this.  

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

I try them on if I like them I keep them if I don't they go back.   I don't have to ware something for a day or two to figure it out,  I tend to know right away it's either a go or not. .   I  have never actually "worn" something outside my house and then returned it and I sure would never wash it if I wasn't sure I was going to keep it.  But that's just me.  

@Silver Fox1  I always wash items to see how the hold up washing them per instructions. Many times pants shrink, tops lose their shape, colors run.  How will you know that if you do not wash them? 

@SeaMaiden  I find the only time things seem to shrink is if you dry them in the dryer. Other than underware I never dry anything in the dryer I always hang them to dry and if I have any doubt that they may even shrink if I hang them to dry then I will have them dry cleaned. Only once did I have something shrink on me it was a very long time ago and  I have never used a dryer since on my cloths.

Frequent Contributor

Annabelle,. like you, Im also from VA,.. right on the coast, I am.  This has been to ME anyhow.. one of the oddest yrs, of all...Its been cool and climate, where, in the past, it has been humid and scorching hot... several evenings ( as in more then 10 ) it has been comfortable to wear sweatshirts.... VERY odd, indeed..

Either way tho,.. my advice - if you have the $$$ to burn through, and, it would bring a smile to your face,.. thats all on you.. if however, the cost, may hamper your lifestyle in the future,.. as with anything, I would politely advise against.

Only you, and your QVC acct, can really know your shopping availibility.

Honored Contributor

I am not ready to look at or buy winter clothes so that solves the problem for me!  I will not buy anything winter until winter is here!  That's just me and also because I hate winter!!!

As far as knowing whether to keep something --- well, I go by fit and comfort.  When I get something new, I will walk around my house in it for a bit and look at it this way and that in the mirror and see how it hangs, etc.  If it looks good from all angles and feels comfortable and  seems to flatter me, then I keep it!  I don't know how it will wash but I just hope that it will wash and wear well.  I try and remember to look at tags before I buy a garment to see what it is made of and what the washing instructions are.  I seldom wear anything without laundering first because dyes bother my skin sometimes and because --- well, you don't know where the garments have been or who has tried them on!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I understand your post....but I don't think there is any way of knowing for sure if an item is going to hold up in the amount of time you have to return it.

I am sure an extended return time frame wouldn't be a good thing for retail because people would take advantage of it by wearing something a few times and always have a new wardrobe.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

OK, so I've been ordering some of the items QVC has been showing now for at least a month.  These are all Winter items...(i.e. sweaters, etc).  The other day the weather guy said (paraphrasing) "With the humidity it probably feels like 100 degrees out there'.  I agree!

Finally, my point.  This is August 20th.  I live in Va.  It probably won't be sweater weather until at least October, maybe some clothes......

QVC gives you 30 days to return the item.  There is no way I'm wearing these clothes in this weather or for the next month (and probably at least 1 1/2 months or more).

So, (even taking into account you wash them first) which I sometimes do but not in the case of sweaters, etc.  How do I know it's going to hold up, etc down the line?

I haven't ordered many (maybe 2 sweaters, if that) but they keep pushing them.  I'm wondering what other people do about that?

I don't buy Fall stuff until it's fall

and TBH have never had a garment fall apart on me, so I don't worry about that 

Respected Contributor

I never buy anything too far in advance of the season, but I have to say, I have never, ever had a problem buying anything from anywhere that "didn't hold up" then have to return it.  I've just never had that problem with clothing.... and I spend far less in my local stores for clothes than QVC prices.

I can't imagine buying something from QVC, wearing it for the month for a test drive (?), then returning it because it "didn't hold up". To me, that says you shouldn't be buying from QVC because their quality is not to your liking.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't happen often but there have been instances where I've purchased something that just didn't hold up well. 

I've had clothing items shrink or pill horribly on the first washing.  I had a pair of pants start to unravel and threads start poking out of the knit after a couple of washings.  You just never know when you are going to get a dud.

When I order something, I generally try it on right away.  If I like the material, the style and it fits, I wash it to see how it is.  If it shrinks or just doesn't wash well, it goes back.  Sometimes you can tell a lot about a garment after just the first washing.

As an aside, in about a month, QVC will implement the holiday return policy and I suspect there will in fact be a lot of people who will start buying clothing and some will wear it the full 90 days and it will get returned.

Many stores have a much more lenient return policy than QVC.  Macys has a 180 day return policy for items purchased on-line and as long as you have a receipt, you can return items purchased in the store regardless of the purchase date.  I believe Kohls and Nordstrom have an unlimited return policy as well. 

A lot of stores offer returns beyond 30 days.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It doesn't happen often but there have been instances where I've purchased something that just didn't hold up well. 

I've had clothing items shrink or pill horribly on the first washing.  I had a pair of pants start to unravel and threads start poking out of the knit after a couple of washings.  You just never know when you are going to get a dud.

When I order something, I generally try it on right away.  If I like the material, the style and it fits, I wash it to see how it is.  If it shrinks or just doesn't wash well, it goes back.  Sometimes you can tell a lot about a garment after just the first washing.

As an aside, in about a month, QVC will implement the holiday return policy and I suspect there will in fact be a lot of people who will start buying clothing and some will wear it the full 90 days and it will get returned.

Many stores have a much more lenient return policy than QVC.  Macys has a 180 day return policy for items purchased on-line and as long as you have a receipt, you can return items purchased in the store regardless of the purchase date.  I believe Kohls and Nordstrom have an unlimited return policy as well. 

A lot of stores offer returns beyond 30 days.     

@Lipstickdiva,I never have a problem with Q if I order something that can't be used immediately because of the seasons then it performs badly.

I have had extra sheets sent out 3 months  after the first because I had a "wearing problem" with the first set.  They didn't want the first set back.  Too much to return.  I always call 1-800-367-9444, not the order number.  (This is the origonal number for "trouble shooting!  aka, CS.).