Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Totally A Leather Snob

Guilty. I can't get into the imitations.

Honored Contributor

I would have said no ten years ago but not now. It's amazing what they've done with textiles in general. the Improvements are amazing. But I can't wear vegan leather shoes. Vegan leather is practical and animal-friendly; I have no problem with it

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I would have said no ten years ago but not now. It's amazing what they've done with textiles in general. the Improvements are amazing. But I can't wear vegan leather shoes. Vegan leather is practical and animal-friendly; I have no problem with it

@Andreatoo this is so true.  It doesn't last as long as leather though.  Leather molds and breathes, but that other stuff does not.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Me too.  Love leather.  Have leather jackets, skirts and two leather trousers (which are not cheap!)  Faux leather is actually made from various things from Plastic to tree bark to Kelp! They fall apart eventually.  Not very durable.  Even fake leather is not very cheap.  It labor intensive to make fake leather. They don't "breath" don't smell very good and no matter how they try....I can tell they are not leather. I don't own fake leather clothing.  Most of my shoes are still leather.

I'm more angry at leather for jumping so quickly in price!  A few years ago you get great bargains in leather boots, jackets, etc.  Now good leather jackets start at $1,000.00.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Again, to add my 2¢, I have wavered a bit and purchased some of the newer "faux" leathers, notably this dress which I really love.

GrnLthrDress2.jpg

I believe it looks like the real deal and it feels like the real deal when I wear it.

I've also purchased some leggings in the same material in a variety of colors, which I look forward to wearing. For granted, they may not last as long as my real leather items, but the low cost makes it more acceptable to my budget. Real leather prices are soaring and living on a fixed income makes it less of an option for me.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have four high end leather wallets and I alternate them .... hoping to make each of them last almost forever.  

One I bought in Paris, two at Neiman Marcus and the newest one I got on Ebay for a steal.  They really are not only well made, but an absolute pleasure to use each and every time I reach for it.  Heart  Sigh.

Trusted Contributor

i can't do faux leather shoes....I live in Florida and they make your feet stink. I have a shoe fetish and I buy a lot of shoes...I have always bought good shoes. I shop sales and my feeling is you owe it to your feet to have good shoes. I don't have expensive purses but they are leather, I have two leather coats which I love. I understand a lot of people are against purchasing leather now....I guess they also do not eat meat in addition to their boycotting leather goods. I eat meat so I have no guilty conscience.