Valued Contributor

Re: I love Queen Elizabeth's Style

@KathyPet wrote:

WHen we were in England in 2015 we toured Buckingham Palace and stopped by the gift shop on the way out.  I bought the most amazing hardcover 142 page book called Dressing the Queen.  IT was written by Angela Kelly who is a Personal Advisor and Senior Dresser responsible for the Queen's wardrobe, jewelry and insignia.  THe bookmarks s a fascinating look at what goes into making the Queen's clothing with lots and lots of color photos showing close ups of the Queen at various events.  THe photos show detailed close up of the detail work in the items that you would not notice unless you are within a foot of the Queen.  the photos of fabrics used are simply incredible.  OF course everything including her shoes and hats are custom made for her.    I was interested to see a photo of the clear umbrellas that she has in case of rain.  EVery color of the rainbow is represented in the trim and the handles.  there were at least 6 or 7 umbrellas of each color representing various shades of the color.

Wow! The books sounds amazing....

I have always had a sense that everything about her clothes was amazing, from the fabrics to the custom fit etc, I guess that was really confirmed in that book.

I am in London again soon so hopefully I can try to pick up a copy.... It sounds lovely 

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

My Aunt and Uncle lived in London for 5 years. So my Aunt was able to get me within 5 feet of the Queen. The Queen wore a stunning light green outfit. The fabric was a quality that was absolutely beautiful. She looked every part the Queen - as well she should.

And I must say I don't think pictures of her and Prince Philip do them justice. They were both quite attractive. But sometimes pictures don't bring their nice features out. 

The queen was quite beautiful as a younger woman and I think she has aged so well too...  Thanks for the lovely post Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I recently saw a PBS special on the Royal Family, William and Harry supplied behind the scenes family videos. They decorate their own Christmas tree and the kids ride trikes down the big hall in Buckingham Palace, but what struck me was the queen's love for animals. All her life she has had dogs and horses around her. There was even a video of her as a girl and she is lying on the ground with a dog jumping back and forth over her. This was a great show, I hope it comes on again so I can watch it. 

I'd love to watch the special.  As I don't have TV, however, I may check to see if may be availabe online somehow.....

Thanks for posting information about it!!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I've read many times that the Queen always wears bright colored clothes for her official appearances to stand out in the crowds.   So even people standing far away can say they've seen the Queen.  The bright colors are so that she is conspicuous.

Much as I like what she wears - including the custom matching hats and her gorgeous royal jewelry, often huge brooches, I always think her outfit is ruined by her foundation garments underneath.   She needs bras that support her!  Camilla has the exact same wardrobe problem.  Maybe they just don't have any good bras in England but it sure always ruins Elizabeth's and Camilla's "look" to me.  Someone take them to buy proper underwear!

It just so happens that the "brights" the Queen wears also accent her coloring.  You rarely see her in light pastels.  I have her coloring and try to use the same colors as they are the most flattering on me. 

Maybe the lingerie problem is just the result of the "mature" figure.  I'm sure she has the best of everything.  She almost always wears collarless coats/jackets.  I do think a collar would be more flattering and de-accentuate the bustline. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Swissguy  @KathyPet  Dressing the Queen  is available on Amazon.  They have good prices on the used versions. 

Honored Contributor

Bless her heart.  She is a strong woman.  I am sure she had a designer or significant person help her with her wardrobe.  She was fond of colored coats and hats to match and for her age group, and being a woman of her age and the Queen, she looks beautiful.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I love the Duke of Edinburgh, his looks of course...and she is the Queen so authentic, so frugal even stingy. My favorite royal accesory is her mega bag I have always wondered what does she carry? Royals NEVER have money with them by definition, maybe a handkerchief who knows however they make a statement. QEII would not be herself withou her huge handbags, her horses, her Hermes carres, her pearls, her lovely skin and her magnificent brooches.

My favorite was the Queen mother.🌻

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what I said was rude about the queen.  I just mentioned that we would all be fortunate to be able tor ride at her age.  I do not see why my post was removed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CHIP62 wrote:

I love the Duke of Edinburgh, his looks of course...and she is the Queen so authentic, so frugal even stingy. My favorite royal accesory is her mega bag I have always wondered what does she carry? Royals NEVER have money with them by definition, maybe a handkerchief who knows however they make a statement. QEII would not be herself withou her huge handbags, her horses, her Hermes carres, her pearls, her lovely skin and her magnificent brooches.

My favorite was the Queen mother.🌻

@CHIP62 You must not be seeing the same queen I see.  She has dozens of the same small handbag about 9 or 10" wide.  I've never seen her with any other handbag. 

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/fashion/news/a37701/queen-elizabeth-launer-purse/

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Kachina,

You might be right in the sense that The Queen that I remember was the one from  many years ago when I was younger and my perception of the dimensions was not what it would be today.Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.06.13 AM.pngStill in continental Europe her big bags were a historical constant. Than you for your comment, ultimately it is all in the eye of the beholder🌻Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.05.58 AM.png