Valued Contributor

Re: I love Queen Elizabeth's Style

@Trix wrote:

If you click through archival photos of QEII you may agree with me that in the presence of horses she always seems to sparkle the brightest.  Her love for them really shows. She loves her dogs to, but the horses seem to have an extra special place in her heart.  I had read in Majesty Magazine (a UK publication) that she stil rides, so it's no surprise that there's recent photo of her on horseback. 

Yes!  Thank you.

And she looks so relaxed too I feel in that first photo I posted.

Respected Contributor

Primarily Irish, but secondary British ancestry and I truly have a lot of respect for Queen Elizabeth. She has served her country admirably in the capacity to which she was born.  A charming, elegant woman,  who has endured more criticism than she deserves, but still stands strong, like her beloved country.  I pray that she is granted many more years to enjoy her family = especially those preious great grandchildren..  And selfishly I pray that she will make William king instead of Charles.  Just MHO.

Valued Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Primarily Irish, but secondary British ancestry and I truly have a lot of respect for Queen Elizabeth. She has served her country admirably in the capacity to which she was born.  A charming, elegant woman,  who has endured more criticism than she deserves, but still stands strong, like her beloved country.  I pray that she is granted many more years to enjoy her family = especially those preious great grandchildren..  And selfishly I pray that she will make William king instead of Charles.  Just MHO.

What a lovely comment.  Thank you!! 

Trusted Contributor

I am teaching about WWII and the Battle of Britain. When she was a teenager during the war she worked as a driver and jeep mechanic.  I showed my students a picture of her under a jeep, changing the oil. The British loved the Royal family even more for the way they served England during the war.

Honored Contributor

I've read many times that the Queen always wears bright colored clothes for her official appearances to stand out in the crowds.   So even people standing far away can say they've seen the Queen.  The bright colors are so that she is conspicuous.

Much as I like what she wears - including the custom matching hats and her gorgeous royal jewelry, often huge brooches, I always think her outfit is ruined by her foundation garments underneath.   She needs bras that support her!  Camilla has the exact same wardrobe problem.  Maybe they just don't have any good bras in England but it sure always ruins Elizabeth's and Camilla's "look" to me.  Someone take them to buy proper underwear!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

WHen we were in England in 2015 we toured Buckingham Palace and stopped by the gift shop on the way out.  I bought the most amazing hardcover 142 page book called Dressing the Queen.  IT was written by Angela Kelly who is a Personal Advisor and Senior Dresser responsible for the Queen's wardrobe, jewelry and insignia.  THe bookmarks s a fascinating look at what goes into making the Queen's clothing with lots and lots of color photos showing close ups of the Queen at various events.  THe photos show detailed close up of the detail work in the items that you would not notice unless you are within a foot of the Queen.  the photos of fabrics used are simply incredible.  OF course everything including her shoes and hats are custom made for her.    I was interested to see a photo of the clear umbrellas that she has in case of rain.  EVery color of the rainbow is represented in the trim and the handles.  there were at least 6 or 7 umbrellas of each color representing various shades of the color.

Honored Contributor

My Aunt and Uncle lived in London for 5 years. So my Aunt was able to get me within 5 feet of the Queen. The Queen wore a stunning light green outfit. The fabric was a quality that was absolutely beautiful. She looked every part the Queen - as well she should.

And I must say I don't think pictures of her and Prince Philip do them justice. They were both quite attractive. But sometimes pictures don't bring their nice features out. 

Respected Contributor

I recently saw a PBS special on the Royal Family, William and Harry supplied behind the scenes family videos. They decorate their own Christmas tree and the kids ride trikes down the big hall in Buckingham Palace, but what struck me was the queen's love for animals. All her life she has had dogs and horses around her. There was even a video of her as a girl and she is lying on the ground with a dog jumping back and forth over her. This was a great show, I hope it comes on again so I can watch it. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I recently saw a PBS special on the Royal Family, William and Harry supplied behind the scenes family videos. They decorate their own Christmas tree and the kids ride trikes down the big hall in Buckingham Palace, but what struck me was the queen's love for animals. All her life she has had dogs and horses around her. There was even a video of her as a girl and she is lying on the ground with a dog jumping back and forth over her. This was a great show, I hope it comes on again so I can watch it. 

@conlt  Yet the royal family hunts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was always impressed by the way she moves around in a crowd.  Not many people know, but the dresses are weighed  down at the hem line so they won't push up by the wind and show her leg. There are circular lead weights sewn inside the hem of her dresses.  Can you imagine walking around like that?  Kate has them too.  Here's what they look like:

The Queen's tailor sews Peter Jones curtain weights into her hemlines to keep them from blowing away

Even the Queen isn't totally safe from the British weather, seen here arriving at grandson William's RAF base in North Wales in April 2011