Honored Contributor

Re: I know the hosts have to sell, but really??

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Years ago, before I knew the names of the hosts, there were two presenting an item just before Christmas. Thinking back, it was probably Pat and Dan in the morning.

The item was a "personal massager" and they had it vibrating and bouncing all around the glass table in front of them.  Pat said it would be a great gift for a teacher!  

Is that the one that attached to the tip of your finger?  I always wondered how they got away with selling that thing on TV.

Adding: I think it was called the Fukouku massager.  Pat was using it on her neck but I think it was made for other areas.  Wink, wink...

It's still on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

As far as I can 'look back' and recall, giving teachers gifts was a 'no-no'.  Not necessarily a 'rule', but I'm guessing that it just wasn't done because of the possibility of favoritism toward certain gift-giving students?   'All in all' parents just didn't send their children to school with gifts for teachers or other students.  Public school.  I don't know about private schools.  As far as today, if gifts were permitted, I'd ask/suggest my kids to make a nice handmade card for their special teacher(s), maybe including a nice message. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon

No. If I recall correctly it looked kind of like a big spider, which is why they had it jumping around on the table.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@faeriemoon

No. If I recall correctly it looked kind of like a big spider, which is why they had it jumping around on the table.

@house_cat  Ok, I don't think I remember that one.  See my earlier edited response and see if you remember that one. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon

I'll have to check it out later - I'm on my break at school right now, so it's probably not a good idea to view it from my school computer...ha!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat  Definitely not!!!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

More and more I'm hearing of a class gift for a teacher instead of a bunch of indivual gifts.  A teacher I know rec'd a Coach purse last year from the class. 

I don't have children so no teacher gifts for me and I don't give a gift to the mail carrier or UPS driver (different all the time) nor the trash collectors, etc.  But if I did, no I would not give them some of the ridiculous things presented on Q that they insist would make a wonderful gift. 

Valued Contributor

The only 'extra' person I gift is the papergirl. She gets it on my porch every morning before the sun comes up. Sometimes I can reach it without leaving my doorway. She'll get $10 or $20 cash, depending on the fatness of my wallet at the time. I couldn't do that job in a million years - waking up and getting out in the middle of the night seven days a week, rain or shine? Yikes.

But I do agree that the suggestions to give the rather pricey gifts to teachers, mailmen, etc. are a bit far-fetched sometimes.

Honored Contributor

You have to keep in mind that these hosts who think nothing of giving a 50 dollar gift to the mailman, make 6 figure salaries. My husband taught highschool math and the kids gave him gifts of food and art work  and a student one time gave him a lap robe.