Valued Contributor

Re: I know the hosts have to sell, but really??

@ellaphant wrote:

Does anyone give a $50 massage pillow to a teacher? Or give gifts to teachers, tutors, the mailman, the hair colorists' assistant, your choir group, your bridge club?? And the list goes on! I'd be broke! I laugh every time I hear it!!

Merry Christmas to all!

And don't forget one for your gift closet, just in case someone stops over unexpectantly with a gift for you.

Respected Contributor

If any professional deserves a massage pillow it is probably a teacher Smiley Happy ! Of course $50. is probably a bit high for parents raising a child/children, or possibly inappropriate with employers. They most likely have a collection of 'favorite teacher' coffee mugs.

People one pays for a service on a recurring basis most likely appreciate a Merry Christmas and a gratuity. and your coloring and hairstyle may benefit .  

I have found social groups generally have a Secret Santa /drawing one name or something where there is a limit on cost of a gift. Any I have been associated with the limit was a lot less than $50.

I used to give our mail carrier a cellophane / tamper proofed box of candy with just a bow placed on it . Then the post office started alternating carriers. As nice as it is anything homemade unless you know the person real well could be iffy to ingest.-- the times we live in.

I appreciate my UPS man but just now and then say ty and how I appreciate what a good/careful job he does ,but I do not think they expect presents. In our area the full timers are paid fairly well .

I do see why QVC makes the suggestions. That is their job.

Honored Contributor

My DH gifts the mailman a gasoline gift card - probably $20. After all we go back & forth from Pa and it does cause him some extra work. We give the newspaper girl $10. I give my stylist $20 - the cost of a haircut which is all she ever does for me. That is the extent of our Christmas gifting to people who are virtually strangers. I give some friends & neighbors baked goods or wine or candy. One very close friend spends Christmas with us and we do exchange gifts.  I send a donation to Shriners hospital in the name of my family as I have no idea what to get for them and my neice says she likes that her kids see the idea of gifting to charity.

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Does anyone give a $50 massage pillow to a teacher? Or give gifts to teachers, tutors, the mailman, the hair colorists' assistant, your choir group, your bridge club?? And the list goes on! I'd be broke! I laugh every time I hear it!!

Merry Christmas to all!

YOu,forgot the newspaper delivery person and the trash removal people.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Holiday tipping has gotten carried away. they are doing their jobs and being paid for it along the way.  No one ever tipped me in all the years at my job. 

I am also tired of tip jars everywhere you look.  Why I am supposed to tip a cashier who fills a cup with coffee and takes my $,

I have no idea.

In many cases, I feel the person should be giving me some token of their appreciation of MY business at the holidays. After all, I tip the hairstylist and the nail girl at every visit.  What's wrong with them letting me know now that they value me?!

Honored Contributor

Worst presents EVER! 

Honored Contributor

Many schools do not allow teacher gifts. Not every family can afford one and it can make the students feel badly.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I forgot--we have a different mail carrier every day. 

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Valued Contributor

Every teacher I know is thrilled to receive a gift card to buy school supplies, since they often spend their own money on these.  A gift card for coffe or to a book store is also appreciated.  No more mugs, please! LOL

Honored Contributor

Years ago, before I knew the names of the hosts, there were two presenting an item just before Christmas. Thinking back, it was probably Pat and Dan in the morning.

The item was a "personal massager" and they had it vibrating and bouncing all around the glass table in front of them.  Pat said it would be a great gift for a teacher!  

~ house cat ~