Honored Contributor

I keep reading about tight sleeves

I have started trying to find what country makes clothing like this..I have tracked one country down to Viet Nam..I  think everyone must get the same size sleeve, no matter what size they are. They are a one sleeve size fits all manufacturer ,at Talbot's

Honored Contributor

Re: I keep reading about tight sleeves

I've got several Denim &Co. shirts made in Vietnam and they're fine.  I prefer them because they're considerably cheaper than a comparable shirt that's made in China and subject to tsriffs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The more narrow sleeve began about 6 years ago.  As memory serves, Free People, a young person's oriented company, started to make sleeves more narrow, and saved mfg money!

Because women appeared to look slightly slimmer, keeping cost in mind, companies jumped on the band wagon and narrow sleeves began.  

Adult women had just short of a hissy fit!  They found the jacket arms unbelieveably uncomfortable.  Personally, I resented my coat telling me what top I could wear because my thicker sweaters wouldn't be comfy!!!  I wouldn't buy them!

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I have started trying to find what country makes clothing like this..I have tracked one country down to Viet Nam..I  think everyone must get the same size sleeve, no matter what size they are. They are a one sleeve size fits all manufacturer ,at Talbot's

I agree with you about Talbots, at least lately.  The proportions are off.  Everything seems shorter too, at least to me.

Respected Contributor

The last top I got from Talbots felt like the sleeves weren’t set into the shoulders properly.
Respected Contributor

I don't know why, but for some reason designers or manufacturers decided several years ago to make the sleeves of blouses and tops of all kinds narrower.  Even the shoulder seams are not properly set in for a comfortable fit.  I will never understand why coats have the same sleeve circumference as a blouse, sweater, or other knit top.  Absolutely no room to move and feel comfortable.  On QVC, Dennis Basso coats and clothing are the absolute worst for narrow sleeves.  I wish they would realize that most women like to look nice but be comfortable doing it.  I find that Denim & Co to be a little bit better depending on which country it comes from.  

Esteemed Contributor

I buy most of my clothing online.  A few months back I ordered a dress from Talbot’s in my usual size.  I couldn’t even begin to get this dress on.  It was so small, and I looked for the country of origin - was Vietnam.  

Frequent Contributor

I wish they would put the country of origin on the description of clothing on the site.  At least that way it gives me a choice if I want to support that country or not. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always had a heavier upper arm...as do all the women on my mother's side of the family.

I wear Talbots pants, but have never been able to wear any of their tops or jackets.  Too tight in the arms and across the bust. Most of my tops, jackets and sweaters come from Christopher and Banks.  I can buy my regular size and they fit. 

Lands End jackets fit too. They are roomy in the sleeves, even In the petite sizes.

When I was in Vietnam, we were taken to a silk factory.  They put in a fashion show for the Americans so we could see what items they offered.  They we were,allowed to Browse their retail store.  

The Vietnamese women are very, very tiny.  No bust, no butt and very thin arms.  I couldn't find anything  that would fit me.  I finally found a XXXL silk robe that fit me and bought it.  I wear a size 10 petite, so I am not skinny, but never had to buy a XXXL.  Some of the women in our group wore a size 6 and they had trouble with clothing being too tight too.

Western women are just built differently than Asian women.  I tried shoes on too.  I wear a size 6.  I could easily fit into their shoes, but boy did they hurt.

Honored Contributor

I retured an item to QVC because of tight arms....I ordered what should have fit, reordered 1 size up and still to tight....returned the item.